View Full Version : U2 Says It May Offer Its Latest Album On iTunes If Pirates Strike

Kent Pribbernow
07-26-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/U2+vows+iTunes+release+if+album+pirated/2100-1027_3-5282968.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/U2+vows+iTunes+release+if+album+pirated/2100-1027_3-5282968.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>" Irish rock band U2 might rush release its upcoming album as a legal download on Apple Computer's iTunes music store if unfinished material from a CD copy that went missing ends up pirated on the Internet, a source close to the band says."</i><br /><br />This is an interesting and proactive move by U2. If online music pirates steal their latest unfinished album (which of course they will), U2 will head them off at the pass - as the saying goes in the old west. But I question how exactly this preemptive strike is supposed to curtail music theft or even slow its progress? I get the impression U2 is looking to setup a publicity stunt.

Suhit Gupta
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
It is sad that their music was stolen. But it is even sadder that their music will be first available in AAC format where most of us can't listen to it. I guess I will have to wait for the CD. :(

Suhit

Chris Gohlke
07-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Why would the pirates care if U2 goes ahead and releases it early?

Mojo Jojo
07-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Well I don't see it much as a stunt but more of a 'cut our losses' act. A digital music store can offer the music as a download is a very quick distribution method versus printing covers, making enough cd burns, and to dispatching them to stores.

While it may not be the best, it offers those on the fence about what is stealing versus what is legal at least an option in a timely manner. Those that stick to doing the right thing will do so anyways. :)

As for AAC? The numbers say that Apple has the largest share, so the 'most of us' comment actually belongs with Apple. 8)

However, he could have slipped and said 'Apple' much like people say 'Klinex' and perhaps just ment digital download for purchase. Eitherway I don't think musicians should play favorites and strike deals with any specific format. I don't need yet another person making a choice for me, that is my job.

Jason Dunn
07-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Why would the pirates care if U2 goes ahead and releases it early?

Stealing an album and releasing it before it was supposed to be released is something that only an egomanical punk would do, and I'm sure this person is bragging in an IRC channel right now. U2 is stealing his thunder by releasing it early and through legitimate channels.

Jason Dunn
07-26-2004, 06:39 PM
But I question how exactly this preemptive strike is supposed to curtail music theft or even slow its progress? I get the impression U2 is looking to setup a publicity stunt.

Nah. Most people are generally honest - if you give them the choice between legally buying the new single for a buck or getting it illegally through Kazaa, U2 fans will buy the track. It's about making it easy for them rather than forcing people to make the choice between stealing the album or not hearing it until it's released.

What I don't get is how it could have got out into the wild...methinks U2 was betrayed from within.

Jonathon Watkins
07-28-2004, 12:25 AM
What I don't get is how it could have got out into the wild...methinks U2 was betrayed from within.

I beleive that it was stolen from a hotel room while the band were on a photo shoot (http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/07/1602.cfm).

Suhit Gupta
07-28-2004, 02:51 AM
From within? You mean one of the band members?

Suhit

Jason Dunn
07-28-2004, 05:43 AM
From within? You mean one of the band members?

Nah, one of the people in the studio or something like that.