View Full Version : D-Link DSM-320 Digital Media Adapter

encece
07-25-2004, 04:28 AM
About a month ago, I purchased an extra $100 Power Adapter from CompUSA, for my Toshiba Notebook. Well, I never opened it and decided to return it as I dont really need it as I thought I would.

Everytime I walk into CompUSA, I am not allowed to get Credit on my card for returned items. I was very surprised this time since the product wasnt opened and I had the receipt. But instead of getting frustrated as I often do at that damn store, I decided to not fight the "Same Day - Same Store Credit" policy, since I need RAM for my notebook anyway.

They did not have the RAM I wanted, so I went browsing. I picked up an XBOX game for me and my son since I had to bribe him to stop complaining that I was taking too long. (Pitfall...only $20). While walking toward the counter, prepared to argue for a refund of the balance, I saw the D-Link DSM-320 on a shelf that it wasnt supposed to be on...placed there by a lazy customer who decided against it. So I grabbed it and bought it. The price was $200 minus my $105 credit, so in my warped mind, I talked myself into believing I was only paying $95 for it! :D

I am now baptized into the world of Digital Media Sharing across my home network...onto my TV and Stereo!

The unit has 802.11g built-in so setup was a breeze. I plugged it in, attached the wifi antenna and A/V cables, loaded the simple server software on my PC, and turned the unit on. After a quick setup via the VERY easy to use Wizard...it was running like a champ.

In about 10 total minutes, I was watching video and photos from my PC, listening to my entire MP3/WMA/WAV collection and even am able to use the AOL Streaming Radio for free (I am not an AOL user) until September 30th, at which time, I hope there are more online offerings.

The unit even upgraded itself via the internet all by itself. Hopefully there will be more upgrades for a few of it's small/medium shortcomings...which I'll list in this thread a bit later.

The remote is nice and easy to use, but I have a Sony RM AV-3100 Remote that's programmable for up to 18 devices, so I programmed it to mimic the remote and I am golden!

This is my only experience with DMAs so I'm a bit starry-eyed. There very well may be better devices out there. But this is a very cool option for 802.11g wireless access to all of your digital media!

Quick Negatives:
1) Have a problem playing AVIs, though the manual says it's possible, I dont know which format is acceptable.
2) I havent figured out playlists yet...but apparently, Windows Media Playlists aren't allowed.
3) It's hard to turn on at times. When I hit the powerbutton, it sometimes goes on then off, like I'm hitting the button twice (on both remotes).
4) It would be nice to have more online offerings like custome internet radio streaming, weather, RSS news, etc.

Other than that...I have no other complaints (yet!). But I dont know what I should be expecting anyway! Either way...I like what I see! :D

EDIT: Here is a review I found thru Gizmodo. Read some of the comments at the bottome of the page as well!
http://www.nodrm.com/index.php?p=54

Jason Dunn
07-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Cool! :-) I haven't taken this step yet myself - we only have one TV in our house (other than my little monitor for video testing), so the scenarios haven't come up yet. I'll be interested to hear how you use it!

freitasm
08-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Hmmm. Bought one of these last Friday. Found LOTS of problems...

- terrible playback of video over wi-fi. Wired connection is ok, but I bought this for the wireless part. If there's anyone else using wi-fi, even a Pocket PC, then this will start buffering every 5 seconds.

- WMA playback: PAUSE, FFWD, REW don't work

- WMA playback: Genre, Artist, Album information not extracted

- Playlist: no ability to create playlists (at least I found a program that scans my server and creates the playlists automatically).

There's a new firmware available, make sure you download it. Also keep an eye on updated media servers. I think there's an open source coming out soon.

In short, I'll keep this unit because of my music files, but I really think it's not ready for consumer use yet. You have to know a lot of configuring devices to make this work.

encece
08-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Hmmm. Bought one of these last Friday. Found LOTS of problems...

- terrible playback of video over wi-fi. Wired connection is ok, but I bought this for the wireless part. If there's anyone else using wi-fi, even a Pocket PC, then this will start buffering every 5 seconds.

- WMA playback: PAUSE, FFWD, REW don't work

- WMA playback: Genre, Artist, Album information not extracted

- Playlist: no ability to create playlists (at least I found a program that scans my server and creates the playlists automatically).

There's a new firmware available, make sure you download it. Also keep an eye on updated media servers. I think there's an open source coming out soon.

In short, I'll keep this unit because of my music files, but I really think it's not ready for consumer use yet. You have to know a lot of configuring devices to make this work.

Yup, not the best, but I'm hoping newer firmware fixes problems. I have the v1.2 update....is there a newer one?

Didnt notice any video buffering at all. Are you running it on a G or B router? Mine is on a G.

Most of my music is in WMA format...It's a sorted via artist, genre, etc. in the menus, So it must be working. Is this not happening for you?

Which program do you use to create playlists?

Keep us updated of any new firmware that becomes available.

Some problems I have is that it loses the Media Server sometimes and I have to go to Settings and rescan.

Another is that it wont play AVI files even though they're listed as supported on the device.

I'm hoping a new update fixes these problems and more.

freitasm
08-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Nope, 1.02 is the latest at the time of this post.

No ID tag from WMA files, all ripped with Windows Media Player. But it gets the ID tags ok from MP3, also ripped with Windows Media Player.

I'm connected to a Belkin G router.

I'm using Folder Playlist Builder (http://kanjischool.com/mp3folders/).

encece
11-14-2004, 04:08 AM
Firmware and desktop software have both been updated. The firmware is now at 1.4 Here are the additions/bug fixes

Version 1.04:
Added support for Rhapsody
Added support for Napster
Added support for Windows Media Connect. Windows Media Connect requires Windows XP with SP2. You can download WMC software via Windows Update.
Added support for WMDRM. By supporting this, the DSM-320 can now stream protected content from Napster or other online music services using WMDRM. To use this, you need to have Windows Media Connect running at the PC side.
Fixed issue with WEP using ASCII
Version 1.03:
Added support to allow playing of all files in a folder
Added OGG support
Improved FF/RWD of a video file
Enhanced media codec base
Added display of total track time when playing music
Fixed display of metadata information in tiff, jpg, and j2k
Fixed issue with track bar when playing WMA
Fixed issue with displaying color depth and resolution information when playing a slideshow
Fixed video out-of-sync issue
Fixed video time-display problem
Fixed issue with shuffle
Improved UPnP AV support with 3rd party media servers
Fixed device hang / freeze issues
Made mute a global setting
DSM-320 no longer disconnects from server due to idle time / screensaver
Added Zoom/Pan/Rotate control of Photos
Allow music to play in the background so user can exit the music playback screen while music continues to play
Added new search support. User can search by "starts with" or "contains"
´View all presets´ and ´Clear all presets´ added
Setup Page revised
Added video aspect ratio control (4:3 LB, 4:3 Pan/Scan & 16:9)
Added ability to select audio output in setup
Added ability to select video output in setup
Added ability to select Interlaced/Progressive Scan video
Added support for thumbnails from Photos on a CD
Improved Setup Wizard
Fixed bug when no SSID broadcast exists in the setup wizard
Enabled 5.1 (AC3) passthrough
Corrected ID3 (meta-data) display for MP3 playback
Corrected display of ´Next´ track

you can upgrade firmware via your device and the pc software at support.dlink.com