View Full Version : USA Today: "Portable Media Players Seen As Hot Holiday Item"

Kent Pribbernow
07-22-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/2004-07-16-media-player_x.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/2004-07-16-media-player_x.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"One of the hottest items on toy store shelves this holiday season might not be a toy at all, but a portable entertainment player, experts say. The devices, which play popular TV programs, cartoons, music videos, or even movies, are a move by companies to nab "tweens," the fickle preteen demographic with waning interest in traditional toys..."</i><br /><br />Just what our children need...more movie viewing time to corrupt their already polluted minds. Here's an idea for toy makers; why not create more toys that encourage children to *gasp* learn and be creative? :roll:

Kevin & Beth Remhof
07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Honestly, what a boring Holiday gift. "Look Johnnie, a TV!" I don't plan on getting anything like this for my kids. A PS2 though... now there's a gift the whole family can enjoy, right?

These devices aren't going to be cheap. I'd much rather give my kids (or my wife) something more fun. Something that they will appreciate. Or, just plan a big vacation.

Boy, I'm sounding like an old man. Must stop...

The Yaz
07-22-2004, 03:17 PM
For the price for each unit ($300-500), I have a hard time believing that these units are going to fly off the store shelves.

Besides, there is already a cheap alternative called video-to-go. It came out last christmas as a B&W portable video player. This year its been upgraded to play in color. These units sell for $80 USD.

For that price, I could see a parent consider making a purchase.

Lee Yuan Sheng
07-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Here's an idea for toy makers; why not create more toys that encourage children to *gasp* learn and be creative? :roll:

Oooh, I like fun and creative toys. Lego used to be one..

&lt;rant>
I'm a Classic Lego kinda person.. not hardcore, but suffice to say I'm fairly sad to see the direction Lego has gone. I'm sure they're raking in the money, but I don't see the point in spending $20 for a set with more custom parts than standard bricks, and overall less parts than what an average Lego set used to have. Geez.. OTOH I've been pretty impressed with Megabloks, and they're compatible with Lego! =D Now only if they'd make a Tecnic compatible line..
&lt;/rant>

Other fun and creative toys:

Stikfas
Modelling stuff (unfortunately I'm no good at painting and kit bashing)
Electronic kits

And a little advertising for my hobby; if you insist on something high-tech, a digital camera is always good, and coupled with the patience to teach your child to appreciate the world around him or her, will go quite a bit past that one Christmas.

dean_shan
07-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Oooh, I like fun and creative toys. Lego used to be one.

Legos were awsome. I'm glad my parents still have all our (my brothers and I) Legos still. I really hate some of their new lines. Like the sports legos and a lot of teh movie tie-in ones (excluding Star Wars, those ones are cool).

Felix Torres
07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
For the price for each unit ($300-500), I have a hard time believing that these units are going to fly off the store shelves.

Besides, there is already a cheap alternative called video-to-go. It came out last christmas as a B&W portable video player. This year its been upgraded to play in color. These units sell for $80 USD.

For that price, I could see a parent consider making a purchase.

Uh, Video to go is exactly what the article is talking about, you know?
That, and its competitors from Mattel, Fisher-Price, etc.

Its digital media for tweens...