View Full Version : Archiving digital photos

Littleshmee
07-07-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the past, but I'm wondering what everyone does to archive their digital photos. So far I've just got them sitting on a seperate partition of my hard drive, but after almost losing them all due to a hard drive malfunction, I'm starting to think I should really do something semi-permanent. I'm thinking of burning CD's and keeping them on the hard drive as well, and possibly get a new hard drive exclusively for photos... but a few months ago my parents discovered that some of their music CD's (semi-professional recordings of their choir) actually faded on the windowsill and stopped working. What other viable alternatives are there? Thoughts?

dean_shan
07-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I have my pictures on two different hard drives. The problem is both are in my house so if that went up all would be lost. The best solution albeit expensive is to get a external HD and back up to that, then move the external to a friends house or someplace else secure.

Lee Yuan Sheng
07-08-2004, 12:51 AM
I do backups to CD-Rs (and hopefully DVD-Rs in the future) made by Taiyo Yuden. They're probably the best bet when it comes to reliability.

Jason Dunn
07-08-2004, 03:25 AM
Find a friend with some extra hard drive space and both of you install Folder Share (www.foldershare.com), then you can sync up yout photo folder with the one on his computer for an off-site backup. Another solution would be to get an external hard drive. Or do both. :-)

Bob12
07-08-2004, 03:47 AM
I have mine on four hard drives - one each in two notebooks and their corresponding external drives. Plus, they're duplicated on a DVD periodically.