View Full Version : Converting Your Type 1 to Type 2 DV-AVI Files

Jason Dunn
07-05-2004, 04:06 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ulead.com/download/dvconverter/download.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.ulead.com/download/dvconverter/download.htm</a><br /><br /></div>There are two types of DV-AVI files: Type 1 and Type 2. In most instances, if you're lucky, you'll never need to know this and it will never be an issue with the software you're using. I once had a software engineer from <a href="http://www.muvee.com?promo=jdunn">muvee</a> explain what the difference was to me, but I don't recall what he said and the Oracle at Google isn't helping me out much. <br /><br />Suffice it to say that there are some applications on the market, such as muvee, that capture DV-AVI video and store it in Type 1 format. And there are some applications, such as Pinnacle Studio 8, that can only read Type 2 formats. This results in a big fat error message when you try to import a video to work with. I used to curse and swear at the Pinnacle software for not supporting Type 1, but now I have a simple solution if I'm ever faced with this problem again: Ulead's DV-AVI converter.<br /><br />It's a simple 100 KB EXE file that does one thing: it converts a Type 1 DV-AVI file to a Type 2 DV-AVI file - that's it. You might never need this free app, but when you do, you'll find it priceless.

brianchris
07-05-2004, 05:20 PM
some applications, such as Pinnacle Studio 8, that can only read Type 2 formats.

I used to curse and swear at the Pinnacle software for not supporting Type 2

The above quotes seem to contradict themselves.....or perhaps I am just confused? :oops: Only reason why I posted is because I am a heavy Pinnacle Studio user (although I just recently upgraded to version 9.1) and would love to confirm which AVI Studio can use.

REGARDLESS, this little utility is PRICELESS, as I seem to remeber being bit by the AVI type bug a while back. This little utility is nice bug repelant :D

Does it convert fairly instantly, or does it occur realtime (i.e. as long as the AVI file is)?

Thanks for the *great* tip!

Jason Dunn
07-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Uh, yeah, I made a typo there - it's fixed.

I seem to remember it taking a minute to convert - I think it just has to re-write the header information, not transcode the whole file or anything. Because it's a single EXE file, it's a nice thing to have on a USB Flash drive. :-)

Crocuta
07-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Nice little find. It's one of those things that you may not need for a long time, but if you ever do need it, then you'll really be stuck without it. I've downloaded it and tucked it away with other programs in my software archives. Now I just hope, if I ever do need it, I can remember what I called it. :wink:

backpackerx
07-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Ok, I love this site. I downloaded this back when you posted "just to have it" in case but not thinking I'd need it. Well tonight I was one video sequence away from finishing a long project and Pinnacle couldn't open a type I muvee AVI. I didn't know that this was the problem for sure but finally remembered that I downloaded this and it worked like a charm. Great info!!!

Thanks

Jason Dunn
07-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Ok, I love this site. I downloaded this back when you posted "just to have it" in case but not thinking I'd need it. Well tonight I was one video sequence away from finishing a long project and Pinnacle couldn't open a type I muvee AVI. I didn't know that this was the problem for sure but finally remembered that I downloaded this and it worked like a charm. Great info!!!

Bing bing bing! Glad to hear it. :way to go: