View Full Version : Digital Media Thoughts Contest: Must Be Present to Win

Jason Dunn
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm noticing something as I do these contests to give away prizes: some people aren't claiming them! I don't know whether they're not getting the email (I'm not getting bounces), or they're not interested in the prize. Who wouldn't be interested in something free though? ;-) One factor could be that most people seem to use Hotmail or Yahoo email accounts, and likely don't check them very often. We've modified phpBB, our forum software, to completely hide your email address - it's protected from spam bots and can only be accessed by the administrators of this Web site. I'd urge people to put an email address on their account that they actually check every day. :-)<br /><br />In light of this, I'm modifying the contest rules: if the prize isn't claimed within seven (7) days from when the drawing was first done, the prize will be given away to someone else, either chosen at random or given away in a method of my own choosing.<br /><br />We have a lot of prizes to give away, so make sure you check your email!

bdegroodt
06-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I check daily...Waiting for Jason "McMahon" Dunn to show up on my doorstep 8O

James Fee
06-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Damn, you'd think people would check back for this kind of stuff. 8O

Busdrver
06-30-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd answer. Throw one of them prizes my way and I'll show you. :wink:

shanafme
06-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Is there somewhere you can go to see a list of all the winners?? I'd be afraid that the email got blocked by someone's SPAM filter or something.

How about an RSS feed of winners? That would be awesome.

sundown
06-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Although I don't use Hotmail for my registration to this site, I do on some others and sometimes I miss emails because spam fills up the lousy 2 MB of space I have there. At that point, MS disregards email to that account until I clean it out.

7 days seems reasonable.

Kent Pribbernow
06-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Is there somewhere you can go to see a list of all the winners??

Just go back in archives and look for Contest Winner news posts, which should contain names of the winners, I believe.

Jason Dunn
06-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Is there somewhere you can go to see a list of all the winners?? I'd be afraid that the email got blocked by someone's SPAM filter or something. How about an RSS feed of winners? That would be awesome.

Well, we have an RSS feed of the site, and when winners are announced their usernames show up in the feed, so that's kind of the same thing. ;-)

David Prahl
06-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Speechless. What could make it easier to win? COME ON! :roll:

It really makes it sound like those (temporary) winners joined just for the gear and then forgot about it. Kind of insulting.

Will new prize winners be announced this week, Jason?

Suhit Gupta
06-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Will new prize winners be announced this week, Jason?
Yes, answer given here (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5773&highlight=).

Suhit

Tim Williamson
06-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm gonna be on vacation for 2 weeks starting Saturday...but I'm hoping I'll have a chance to check my email while I'm gone.

ctmagnus
06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I think a member should have to have made at least one post in order to win. If you look at the member list, you have to get all the way to page 62 (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=posts&order=ASC&start=1230) out of 82 pages as of this posting in order to get past the members with no posts yet.

Tim Williamson
06-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Good idea, but maybe it should only be open to people with 70 posts or more... :wink: (/me looks at my post count)

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Good idea, but maybe it should only be open to people with 70 posts or more... :wink: (/me looks at my post count)

Sounds good to me.

Crocuta
07-01-2004, 06:06 AM
I think a member should have to have made at least one post in order to win. If you look at the member list, you have to get all the way to page 62 (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=posts&order=ASC&start=1230) out of 82 pages as of this posting in order to get past the members with no posts yet.

Wow, I had no idea that so few of us were posting; I'd never taken a look at those pages. A little sad, but I guess that's human nature. In hindsight, what someone could do to encourage participation as well as registration is to give each member one entry in each contest per post. The zero post people couldn't win, the one post people could win with their one entry, and you'd have over a hundred entries and so would be that much more likely to win. Of course, then I suppose you'd have people making hundreds of empty posts or lots of "yeah, me too" posts just to get their numbers up and you'd open up a can of worms about what qualifies as a valid post. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. It's all good fun either way.

Jonathon Watkins
07-01-2004, 11:51 PM
It's all good fun either way.That's what counts in the end. :wink:

ux4484
07-05-2004, 03:11 AM
I have the odd feeling that along with my thread killing tendencies, that no prizes will be coming my way anyways... :roll:

Jason Dunn
07-05-2004, 04:10 AM
I have the odd feeling that along with my thread killing tendencies, that no prizes will be coming my way anyways... :roll:

Don't give up hope. :-)

dwhitney
07-05-2004, 06:09 AM
I can guarantee you that any email message that comes to me saying I'm a winner of a prize is going to get caught in my spam filters 99 out of 100 times.

Do you realize that you aren't the only one that tells people they have won something every day of their lives for the past 5-6 years? :)

What mail address are you sending the notifications from so we can put that address is our "do not block" settings?

Jonathon Watkins
07-05-2004, 02:44 PM
What mail address are you sending the notifications from so we can put that address is our "do not block" settings?

Welcome Dwhitney.

I would guess that *@digitalmediathoughts.com would do the trick. After all, you DO want to get everyting that Jason sends you right!? wink: