View Full Version : need advice on a camera purchase

Russell
06-18-2004, 08:42 PM
I am going to purchase a new digital camera. The three contestants are.
Canon Powershot A70
Nikon Coolpix 3200, and
Sony A72 or P72???

Any suggestions? Each is about $250 at BestBuy, and each has 3-plus megapixels. To be honest, I would like to get something that uses a card that I can also use in a DV Camcorder.

SassKwatch
06-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Personally, I'd rule out the Sony simply because it likely uses the Memory Stick, and unless you own other Sony products, probably won't be able to use that same media in anything else. But that's just my own personal prejudice.

Don't really know much about the other 2, but maybe there are reviews over at http://wwww.dpreview.com. (?)

Jason Dunn
06-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Based on your requirement of wanting to use the same memory card in a DV camera, you should get the Nikon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04010801nikoncp3200_2200.asp

It uses SD, which is what most MiniDV cameras use (other than Sony cameras which use Memory Sticks). The Canon uses CompactFlash, which MiniDV cameras do not use.

Russell
06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Based on your requirement of wanting to use the same memory card in a DV camera, you should get the Nikon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04010801nikoncp3200_2200.asp

It uses SD, which is what most MiniDV cameras use (other than Sony cameras which use Memory Sticks). The Canon uses CompactFlash, which MiniDV cameras do not use.
Thanks Jason. If I weren't worried about using it in a DV cam, woudl you still recommend the Nikon? Or, have a left out a really good camera I should consider?

Jason Dunn
06-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Jason. If I weren't worried about using it in a DV cam, woudl you still recommend the Nikon? Or, have a left out a really good camera I should consider?

I looked at the Nikon cameras today, and they're very small! Nice stuff. The Canon A70 is a fair bit bigger, but to be honest I haven't done any photo comparisons, so I'm not sure which camera has the best image quality.

PatrickD
06-21-2004, 08:22 PM
I have the Canon A75, which is the successor to the A70. I believe the main difference is the A75 has a larger LCD. You may be able to find some deals on the A70 since it is last years model. Overall I am very satisfied with the A75. The quality of the pictures is much better than I expected. The A75 can be operated in Auto mode, but it has manual controls for just about everything, something I found lacking in many cameras in the same price range. I also have a Canon mini-DV camera that takes SD cards for stills, but to be honest I hardly ever use that feature. The quality of still pictures from the video camera is not that great, and now that I have a real digital still camera I don’t use it for still shots. The CF cards are also a bit cheaper. Another thing to consider is the batteries. The A75 takes 4 AA batteries, which adds to the weight and size. Some cameras have lithium batteries, which make them a bit lighter and smaller, but you have to remember to plug it in and charge it up. With the A75 I have two sets of rechargeable batteries and the battery life is very good. In a pinch I can always pick up a fresh set of batteries just about anywhere. It really depends which features you find important, and how you intend to use the camera. Have fun shopping!! :D

backpackerx
06-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I have the Canon A70 and really like it. You can find it at Amazon for $199 Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OE5G/qid=1087849251/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-3132975-0191125?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846)

I would ignore the memory card option if it's only for a DV camera. DV camera's usually take worse stills than a 1.2 megapixle digital camera does, even if the image sensor is larger on the DV Camera. This is due to the optics being different for film lenses and video lenses. Also, don't most DV cameras come with a small SD card or was that just mine?
The A70 is a bit bulky compared to the Nikon but I like the fact that it has AA batteries. That means I can buy high capacity NiMH batteries and always have a fresh set on hand. The A70 has full manual control which is also nice.

Littleshmee
06-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I second backpackerx on the dv card thing. If you're using a digital camera, you probably won't be happy with the quality of the stills that come out of a DV cam.

How much more expensive is the A75? Another major difference between the two is the aperture range... on the A70 it's 2.8-4.8, and on the A75 2.8-8.0. If you get into creative photography, or if you're a big landscape photographer, you might really appreciate the smaller aperture.