View Full Version : From DVD to PowerPoint - What's the Path of Least Resistance?

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I have a project where I need to take some clips from various DVDs and embed them into a PowerPoint slide deck for playback. Simple on the surface, but I'll need to:<br /><br />• Break the DVD encryption<br />• Rip the specific parts of the movie to a file<br />• Convert that file into a format PowerPoint can play back easily<br /><br />I figured I'd get some input from the Digital Media Thoughts community - any suggestions as to the tools I should use?

Felix Torres
06-16-2004, 03:11 PM
What size video clip do you want to embed?

If QVGA is enough, POCKETPCTHOUGHTS :twisted: has a link to one answer:
DVD to Pocket PC by Makayama Software

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=1AF1D14X877XDXAA2BX9F2XD651AF252&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&amp;sectionId=0&productId=94375

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 03:20 PM
What size video clip do you want to embed?

I think no more than 20-30 seconds.

If QVGA is enough, POCKETPCTHOUGHTS :twisted: has a link to one answer:

Hmm - good idea. I'll have to reinstall the software though - does it allow you to specify the exact time markers that you want to rip? That's the real key. :-)

The Yaz
06-16-2004, 03:30 PM
What you want is a mpeg editor. Go to this link:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support_pvrusb.html

It the software for Happauge's Wintv-pvr. I have the older usb model. It allows you cut edit your mpeg files which should get it to the size you want.

Steve 8)

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 03:40 PM
What you want is a simple video editor...

Ripping the entire DVD, converting the VOB to AVI, then editing out the section I want....much too painful thanks. I'm looking for a more streamlined approach. Unless I can find a ripper that will only rip specific sections, which I know some do.

Felix Torres
06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
What you want is a simple video editor...

Ripping the entire DVD, converting the VOB to AVI, then editing out the section I want....much too painful thanks. I'm looking for a more streamlined approach. Unless I can find a ripper that will only rip specific sections, which I know some do.

The demo version of the DVD to Pocket PC software says you can rip any single minute you choose. The full version should be able to do as much, no?

Mojo Jojo
06-16-2004, 04:15 PM
What do you have for available tools? There are a couple low tech methods that might get you through. Essentially they require a video capture ability (card or usb capture device), and something to convert digital to analog.

Overly simplifed (don't know what you have)...

The key is the output signal can't be digital or else the source retains protection and can't be re-recorded. When I did it I went DVD to Sony Handycam (vcr setting), pressed play on the dvd a second or two before the spot I wanted pressed record on handycam... stopped when done, then imported the video from handycam to computer... trimmed as needed. From there just import to powerpoint for yourself.

I think you can also do DVD player to TV, TV output to video capture card. Also digital switches to analog then capture analog output...

(shrugs) A low tech idea if you can't find anything.

dean_shan
06-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Use SmartRipper (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/smartripper.cfm) to rip the DVD. It will let you rip just selections from the disk.

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys - software is really what I was looking for, so I'll be testing a few things out. I might publish a step by step tutorial when I figure it all out. ;-)

Stillwater
06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I regularly rip 20 sec to 3 min. sections of DVD for use in our powerpoint shows at church. Often I have to do this 30 min. before service, so I have learned to do this quickly and correctly.

I use "smartripper" to decode the vob file. I output just the chapter that I need to work with. Then I use "flask mpeg" to convert it to an mpg file, using bbmpeg to encode it at desired quality level. (flask will also let you trim just the part of the video you need). Finaly, make sure I check the ouput to see if I need to change any encoding settings (ie. interleaving of audio, or bit rates).

Then it is just a matter of embedding it it powerpoint.

No prob.

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 07:06 PM

Ok, I gave this a try and it doesn't allow you to specify the exact timecode for the rip. The best it can do is "rip after 10 minutes", etc. Damn!

Jason Dunn
06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I use "smartripper" to decode the vob file. I output just the chapter that I need to work with. Then I use "flask mpeg" to convert it to an mpg file, using bbmpeg to encode it at desired quality level. (flask will also let you trim just the part of the video you need). Finaly, make sure I check the ouput to see if I need to change any encoding settings (ie. interleaving of audio, or bit rates).

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd have to do - I was somehow hoping for a morestreamlined solution though. ;-)

Deemo
06-17-2004, 03:32 AM
I will save the obvious question for last.

Why don't you just play the video and pause the scenes you want and then do a screen capture that will then be cropped in a photo editor.

And now the question....why do you want to do this???

Edit

Nevermind...I see you need a vid not a jpeg

Why not use DVD Shrink......from there I take you're pic for conversion.

Jason Dunn
06-17-2004, 03:34 AM
Why don't you just play the video and pause the scenes you want and then do a screen capture that will then be cropped in a photo editor. And now the question....why do you want to do this???

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. :-) They need to be video CLIPS, ie: moving pictures with audio.

It's actually a student in my class who wants to do this, so she came to her teacher (me) thinking it was really simple. :roll: :lol:

Deemo
06-17-2004, 03:36 AM
You're not allowed to reply faster than it takes me to edit my post.....get a life 8)

Deemo
06-17-2004, 03:38 AM
Why don't you just play the video and pause the scenes you want and then do a screen capture that will then be cropped in a photo editor. And now the question....why do you want to do this???

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. :-) They need to be video CLIPS, ie: moving pictures with audio.

It's actually a student in my class who wants to do this, so she came to her teacher (me) thinking it was really simple. :roll: :lol:

Dance around it by telling here she may get here perverbial ass sued off

Jason Dunn
06-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Dance around it by telling here she may get here perverbial ass sued off

Why? Canada has no DCMA and I don't believe cracking the encryption on a DVD is illegan in Canada because of that. Or am I missing something?

Felix Torres
06-17-2004, 01:35 PM

Ok, I gave this a try and it doesn't allow you to specify the exact timecode for the rip. The best it can do is "rip after 10 minutes", etc. Damn!

Sorry.

Best I can think of, then, is to feed the output from it to Windows Movie Maker 2, which is free and reads WMV. Let it do auto scene selection, and pick out the scene you want.

Jason Dunn
06-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Best I can think of, then, is to feed the output from it to Windows Movie Maker 2, which is free and reads WMV. Let it do auto scene selection, and pick out the scene you want.

Turns out the developer says it is possible - I'll report back if I'm successful. :-)