View Full Version : Are all FM transmitters the same?

jbachandouris
06-16-2004, 01:35 AM
:?: I just purchased a MiniDisc from Ebay. I have recorded my 1st disc using L4 and have 5 CD's on it. When I play the music through the headphones, it sounds good, but through the FM transmitter to my stereo---not so good. Is it the fault of the transmitter? Or is this what is to be expected?

Kevin C Tofel
06-17-2004, 03:09 AM
With an FM transmitter you are sacrificing some sound quality for convenience. The transmitter is broadcasting a VERY weak signal that is succeptable to interferance and signal degredation. I use one myself, but that's only because I don't want to do any lengthy installations. You could install an FM modulator which splices in directly to an FM antenna, but that's a small amount of effort.

KCT

Gary Sheynkman
06-24-2004, 06:50 PM
FM transmiters are rubbish...dont be lazy and lead a cable from you AUX ports (usually in the trunk of your car)

jbachandouris
06-24-2004, 10:02 PM
:?: aux ports in the trunk? I thought all aux ports came directly from the stereo. If I have one in the trunk, I'd use that since the transmitter is a little bit of a hassle.

ale_ers
06-29-2004, 09:28 PM
FM transmiters are rubbish...dont be lazy and lead a cable from you AUX ports (usually in the trunk of your car)

I would love to figure out how to do this...does anyone know any installation web sites? I'm not even sure my cheap stereo has an aux port (it's a company car).

I've thought about this a few times, I've even read the manual to see if it have any info...no luck.

Gary Sheynkman
07-01-2004, 05:39 AM
ale_ers,

1) what car do you have (make/model)

2) do you have a stock system? the optional stock system? or an after market system?

3) do you have a CD changer in your trunk?

Answer all of these for me and I will pretty much walk you through it.

I will look for a link where this guy does it for a VW jetta (but all cars are different). He made a super clean system but it took a bit of work.

Pretty much you want your car's audio system to think that your mp3 player is just another cd changer or some kind of device. Take not that a lot of basic stock audio systems will not have that auxilary port.

Gary Sheynkman
07-01-2004, 05:52 AM
ok so there are a couple. Bare in mind that this is always specific to the car model.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1121800

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1360365

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1254755 (really good one..tons of pics!)

it looks tough and complicated but it really is not.

i have to say though, that if you have an aftermarket system, it will be much easier to do....good luck

Post here or PM me if you have any questions

foldedspace
07-04-2004, 01:38 AM
I like my iTrip. If you listen to MP3s or live sets as I do, you won't notice a whole lot of degredation. Depending on local FM interference, that is. And there are no extra batteries to purchase.

ale_ers
07-07-2004, 04:30 PM
ale_ers,

1) what car do you have (make/model)

2) do you have a stock system? the optional stock system? or an after market system?

3) do you have a CD changer in your trunk?

Answer all of these for me and I will pretty much walk you through it.

I will look for a link where this guy does it for a VW jetta (but all cars are different). He made a super clean system but it took a bit of work.

Pretty much you want your car's audio system to think that your mp3 player is just another cd changer or some kind of device. Take not that a lot of basic stock audio systems will not have that auxilary port.

This kind of goes to the root of my problem…I have a stock system with basically no options (CD Changer), I don’t even think the Aux button is really functioning on my car stereo. The problem is that I have a car that my company leases for me. It is not a car I would have picked. It’s not a bad car (considering it is free to me) but being a tech guy, it is very limited on options. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix…the very basic model with no upgrades.

From everything I have read, I don’t think I have an Aux port…and short of upgrading the stereo (not something I want to do because this is a lease car that I will have to return) I think I am out of luck. I had thought about adding an external XM radio unit that I can take out before I return it. If I did that, I wonder if I could use that FM modulator (the kind that actually plugs in) to connect to my digital audio?

For now I already have my ipaq mounted for GPS purposes and I regularly play music through an FM modulator (the over the air kind), but as this thread suggest…the quality is lacking.

Gary Sheynkman
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
you are going to have to clarify your question for me.. :lol:

KidKomputer
07-08-2004, 06:14 AM
ale_ers,
You can definately use an FM modulator for a non-permanent solution. Check the description of the JVC or Clarion here (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CjeEavFruN2/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=42500&est=&search=fm+modulator)). For an idea of what the install will require see the section titled Extra connections for add-on CD changers here (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/changers_install.html). I highly reccomend Crutchfield, they will send you detailed instructions for removal of the stock radio and have great technical support if you run into any problems. Hope this helps.

ale_ers
07-08-2004, 01:50 PM
you are going to have to clarify your question for me.. :lol:

Sorry Garry, I guess I kind of rambled. Thanks for sending those links…they were helpful, but I don’t think I have a functioning AUX button on my stock stereo. I think it just says AUX so they can use the same face for the better stereo. I guess I need to find that out first, then I can try to locate the hook up for it.

Thanks for your help.

ale_ers
07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
ale_ers,
You can definately use an FM modulator for a non-permanent solution. Check the description of the JVC or Clarion here (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CjeEavFruN2/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=42500&est=&search=fm+modulator)). For an idea of what the install will require see the section titled Extra connections for add-on CD changers here (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/changers_install.html). I highly reccomend Crutchfield, they will send you detailed instructions for removal of the stock radio and have great technical support if you run into any problems. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I’ll have to look into this. As I mentioned, it would be nice to be able to plug an external XM Satellite receiver into it, and then use the same modulator to plug in a MP3 player. I’ll have to make sure the XM hook ups are not proprietary.

I don’t think my stock stereo has an AUX connection; therefore the wired FM modulator might be the best choice. Can anyone tell me what the quality is like for a wired FM modulator? I imagine it is not as good as an AUX input, but better than and over the air FM Modulator.

Gary Sheynkman
07-14-2004, 06:30 AM
the difference in quality is this:

FM modulator: as good as radio can get

AUx port: as good as your source/speakers