View Full Version : Uptick in Music Store Prices?

Jason Dunn
06-11-2004, 07:00 PM
I've noticed something strange with the online music store that I normally access: Puretracks, which is one of the few stores that offers online music for Canadians, has increased the price on many of their songs. I've been shopping at Puretracks for a while now and I've never paid more than 99 cents Canadian (about 79 cents USD). Looking through Puretracks today, I'm seeing song prices are $1.19 Canadian, much closer to the 99 cents USD that most of you are likely paying. Has there been a similar price increase in the US market, or is this just an attempt to bring prices in Canada closer to that of the US? CDs have historically been less expensive in Canada (based on my experience at least), so this would seem to be a losing proposition for Canadians.

Janak Parekh
06-11-2004, 08:27 PM
From what I've heard, the RIAA has been looking to increase online store prices for some time. :evil: Apple has been holding the line for the most part (just checked the top 100 songs -- and they're still all 99 cents), but I suspect that's because they have the clout to do so -- I'm not so sure the other online stores, and especially those under the auspices of the CRIA, have the same leverage.

--janak

David Horn
06-12-2004, 06:16 PM
iTunes is coming out in the UK next week - song prices are predicted to be £0.99 per song => approx $1.83.

It's always the people in the UK that get screwed. :(