View Full Version : ExtremeTech looks at Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta

James Fee
06-09-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1609328,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1609328,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Nobody would argue that Windows Media Player hasn't had a rocky past, growing over the last few years from an ugly, feature-poor but efficient video and audio playing application into an all-in-one media center in need of a complete interface overhaul. Windows Media Player 10 (WMP10) attempts to improve the overall user experience while at the same time providing some new technology for audio and video services. The changes in WMP10 fall into three broad categories: interface improvements, device support, and DRM improvements for online stores. We'll describe many of these upgrades in depth, but you can easily go check the new player out for yourself: Last week, Microsoft released a technical beta version to the public. You should know that WMP10 works like WMP9 – it cannot be uninstalled; the only way to actually remove it is to make a restore point before installation and jump back to it. You'll need Windows XP to try it out--those with earlier versions of Windows are out of luck. "<br /><br />Make sure you rread up on DRM changes and other behind the scenes technology in WMP 10. Other than some very minor GUI issues, it looks like Widows Media Player 10 is a huge upgrade for most users. Many people still don't use WMP, prefering to stick with their 3rd Party players, but I just bet within a couple months of this release, most will be using WMP and dumping WinAmp/MusicMatch/Real. :D

sub_tex
06-09-2004, 11:34 PM
I just bet within a couple months of this release, most will be using WMP and dumping WinAmp/MusicMatch/Real. :D

Ha!

Bold words, my friend. WMP has NEVER been an attractive application to me.

And once again, the "install it forever" mantra where you can't even uninstall the app! Nonsense and lunacy.

Even iTunes can be uninstalled.

Nothing an audio player/ripper etc. has to do should result in not being able to uninstall it. NOTHING.

James Fee
06-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Ha!

Bold words, my friend. WMP has NEVER been an attractive application to me.
Nor me, but as with Internet Explorer you can't count out Microsoft. It will get put into Windows Update and millions will install it. All new PCs will have it installed and away goes choice.

Happens with everything that MS "integrates" into the OS. Since WMP 10 is "part of the OS", why would you think you could uninstall it? ;)

Jason Dunn
06-10-2004, 05:13 AM
I'm finding WMP10 to be pretty disappointing - Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp that some people don't store their music locally. Their network functionality SUCKS. In fact, other than a few GUI touch-ups, most of this release seems the same as WMP9. I'm sure they put a lot of work into the sync functionality and the new Janus DRM, but from a user perspective, it's a big yawner. :?

mar2k
06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Does WMP 10 mean a newer v10 codec or is it still WM9 once you get past the GUI. I mean, are there any improvements in audio/video or are we just talking interface improvements here?

JTWise
06-10-2004, 04:24 PM
From what I have read, interface and DRM only. Still using 9 codecs