View Full Version : Hack for Digital Rebel Involves One Byte of Code

Suhit Gupta
06-07-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html' target='_blank'>http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Digital camera enthusiasts were pleasantly surprised last fall when Canon released its 6-megapixel EOS 300D unit for a list price of only $899 (currently about $775 street at Shopping.com). This was hundreds of dollars below Canon's very similar EOS 10D , which had shipped earlier for $1,499 (about $1,275 street). Although the newer camera lacked many of the customizable features of its older sibling, the sub-$1,000 price of the "prosumer" 300D" is a solid camera in its own right. Now the reviewers have found that the 300D contains the same basic firmware as the 10D — and changing a single byte in the code enables all those "customizable" features! They say this and other tips instantly add $500 to the value of the model."</i><br /><br />I guess there is collective rejoicing in the 300D camp. Obviously, I was a bit disappointed since I was among those that invested in the 10D. Has anyone tried the hack on their Digital Rebel yet?

Jason Kravitz
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Suhit - I am a 300D owner but have not tried the hack yet.

From what I've read on DPReivew over the last few months, I don't think you should regret your investment in the 10D.

There are many hardware differences that the firmware will not change. The way buttons are laid out, the info display on the top of the 10D, the magnesium alloy body etc

unfortunately I think a lot of people are getting way too wrapped up in feature comparisons and forgetting about the end result - the final image. Same thing between D70 vs. 300D - both are excellent cameras just as 10D is an excellent camera.

If you like your camera, you know how to set everything without looking at it and you consistently get good pictures then you should be satisfied!

I'll probably try the hack sometime in the future and will post my findings.

Suhit Gupta
06-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Suhit - I am a 300D owner but have not tried the hack yet.

From what I've read on DPReivew over the last few months, I don't think you should regret your investment in the 10D.

There are many hardware differences that the firmware will not change. The way buttons are laid out, the info display on the top of the 10D, the magnesium alloy body etc

unfortunately I think a lot of people are getting way too wrapped up in feature comparisons and forgetting about the end result - the final image. Same thing between D70 vs. 300D - both are excellent cameras just as 10D is an excellent camera.

If you like your camera, you know how to set everything without looking at it and you consistently get good pictures then you should be satisfied!

I'll probably try the hack sometime in the future and will post my findings.
Jason, it was really nice reading your post. I am actually not disappointed at all in my purchase of the 10D and have loved every moment of taking pictures with it. In fact when the 300D was first announced, I felt similar pangs of jealousy but when I actually held the unit in my own hands, I definitely realized how the 10D was still better in terms of design and functionality. I guess I had similar feelings when this hack was announced. It is just that the 10D was really (and still is) quite expensive and to have a significantly cheaper camera be able to do the same... well you know what I am saying. Anyways, good luck with the upgrade and let us know how it works out.

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Wow, it runs DOS! Interesting! Wonder what the other cameras run on.

Godsongz
06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
I did apply the hack to my 300D, specifically for the addition of FEC functionality. I believe this feature even allowed me to save a little more money by buying the 420ex speedlite versus one of its bigger brothers.

I applied the hack a couple of months ago, and after visiting the site again (thanks to Suhit's post) I see that a newer version of the hack is now available. I'll probably upgrade my camera's software again later tonight.

Phoenix
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this story. It doesn't surprise me, but to instantly add all those abilities to the camera with one byte of code, LOL, oh man, I'm sure that doesn't make Canon very happy. No sir.

I'm sure Canon won't make this so easy in the future. Because while the hack increases the value of the 300D, it decreases the value of the 10D.

Although I will say, that $1275 street for a DSLR like the 10D - that alone is a great price for all that power. For cryin' out loud, I spent $1100 on a Kodak DC265 back in the day. Granted, you have to buy a lens or two with an SLR, but especially considering the 300D, look at what you get for under $1000, which includes the lens. Times change.

Jonathon Watkins
06-09-2004, 01:19 AM
:lol: Now that is lazy programming. (And very clever hacking by someone - or was it an inside tip-off? :wink:)

Just shows you how the 300D was deliberately 'handicapped'. Unsurprisingly I suppose.

I wonder if Canon will change future 300Ds so this won't work? Better snap up an upgradeable 300D now while you can! :wink:

dartman
06-10-2004, 01:53 AM
After following the hack discussions on dpreview for a while, I doubt if there is only one byte of code changed. Each release of the hack seems to reveal new features. Actually, it seems like quite a bit is involved.

I haven't tried the hack but I'm tempted.

dart

Godsongz
06-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I put the newest version of the hack on my camera last night just to goof around with the ISO3200 setting in low light conditions. Wow, the noise and grain increase over 1600 (which I hardly ever used because it's so noisy) is incredible. I suppose it might come in handy to be able to take an image in very low light, but its hardly usable.

There was a recent discussion here about a photoshop plugin for stripping noise out of pictures. Wonder what that plugin would do with this? hmmm

Jason Kravitz
06-10-2004, 09:55 PM
There is a plugin called Noise Ninja - I have not used it - supposed to be good. There are some other ones too