View Full Version : Breaking down a Quicktime video

delfuhd
06-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I have an Olympus digital camera that captures Quicktime video. And sometimes, since I like to skateboard, I want to take sequence shots and the 1 and a half frames per second I get doesn't really work with fast skateboarding tricks, but I can take movies of them in quicktime format. Is there any way to capture screen shots of each frame in a quicktime video, or break the frames down? (since arent they just sequenced JPEGS? Or am I making no sense here..) any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jason Dunn
06-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't think you can do that from within Quicktime - if you buy QuickTime Pro, you can export it as an AVI file then use a frame grabber to export the images. Alternatively, some video editing programs can open up QuickTime files and you can export individual frames that way in most editing apps.

Welcome to DMT! :-)

backpackerx
06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
(since arent they just sequenced JPEGS?

Nope, sorry. Quicktime is a video compression format (based on AVI I think? anyone?) and JPEGs are a photo compression format.

Like Jason said though, you might be able to find a program that lets you edit the video and pull out frames.

Second note, I don't *think* that that camera takes video faster than 15 frames per second so the individual frames would probably be pretty blurry in action shots like fast skateboarding tricks. Third bubble burster (sorry) ---the video is probably half VGA size or maybe VGA at best meaning you'd only get small pictures of decent quality anyways. VGA size is less than a 1 megapixel digital camera. Do you have access to a digital video camera?

delfuhd
06-08-2004, 11:37 AM
The camera shoots video in VGA, which of course could be better, but it's alright for me. My friend has a very nice digital video camera, but I can't always skate with him, and I'd like to get some of my own shots/footage. I guess I'll google a video editor, and see what I can do with it. Thanks!

Montego
06-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Just a quick note here. You camera pprobably uses the "motion-jpeg codec" as does the video capture of my Casio QV4000.

I cannot import video from this directly into my Vegas NLE because I don't have the codec. You can get the codec for around $20-30 from various companies. Just google "motion jpeg codec" to find it.

I have Quicktime pro which has the codec installed natively, so I usually just render out an uncompressed avi from QT and then import into Vegas. I'm too cheap to purchase the codec :)