View Full Version : PVRBlog: "PVR Owners Watch More Commercials, Not Less"

Suhit Gupta
06-06-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=252619' target='_blank'>http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=252619</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Digital video recorders (DVR) typically are seen as the ultimate threat to TV advertising, giving consumers unsurpassed control over what they choose to watch or not watch on their TV sets, including TV commercials. And while it is true that most DVR subscribers do fast-forward through TV commercials when watching programming in replay mode, new research indicates that the net effect of DVRs actually increases the likelihood that viewers will see a TV commercial not decrease it."</i><br /><br />Interesting study, as they have found that people tend to notice interesting advertisements more often while fast forwarding through the breaks. I guess most viewers that don't have PVRs will just switch channels or walk away during the advertisements. When I read the headline, I could not believe that this could be true but when I really thought about it, I guess it is quite possible. Personally, since I have the Time Warner DVR, which allows up to quadruple speed forwarding, I really do end up missing all advertisements (I think/I hope ;-)).

Todd_B
06-06-2004, 05:41 PM
If something catches my eye while fast forwarding, I will watch it, other wise I just skip thru the commercials.

Todd

James Fee
06-06-2004, 06:42 PM
I set my TiVo up with the "30 second skip" hack and don't see any of them anymore. Its a good thing too, there are enough comercials in shows these days.

sundown
06-07-2004, 12:02 AM
I watch 98% less commercials now, though I will stop and rewind if I see one that's interesting. That's pretty rare, though. I love PVR/DVR!

OSUKid7
06-07-2004, 12:06 AM
That's one thing I miss about my ReplayTV - commercial advance. Even with the 4x FF on my TW DVR, it's not as fast as it skipping the commercials instantly.

that_kid
06-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Commercials....what's that :D

Suhit Gupta
06-07-2004, 01:44 AM
The TiVo "30 second skip" hack seems quite cool. I wish there were similar hacks available for the Time Warner DVR, in fact I wish there were any hacks available for it ;-).

Suhit

OSUKid7
06-07-2004, 01:49 AM
The TiVo "30 second skip" hack seems quite cool. I wish there were similar hacks available for the Time Warner DVR, in fact I wish there were any hacks available for it ;-).
haha...I'm sure there are - just open it, plug the HD into a computer, and go from there ;) that's a real "hack."

Suhit Gupta
06-07-2004, 02:01 AM
haha...I'm sure there are - just open it, plug the HD into a computer, and go from there ;) that's a real "hack."
But I am afraid the DVR will shriek and Time Warner police will come knocking on my door :). Maybe I should just do it... Hmm...

Suhit

OSUKid7
06-07-2004, 02:59 AM
But I am afraid the DVR will shriek and Time Warner police will come knocking on my door :). Maybe I should just do it... Hmm...
Yeah, I'd never do something like that...but....you should. ;)

Suhit Gupta
06-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I'd never do something like that...but....you should. ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, bait me into it :). Nah, I think I am going to be prudent and let the device alone... until I find a documented hack ;-).

Suhit