View Full Version : Ooooops!

encece
06-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Did you ever do something that you know you shouldnt do but just cant stop yourself? I did just this tonight.

My son has a junior karate tournament tomorrow so I thought I'd charge the video camera (JVC-DVL725u) and put a blank tape in. Well, I havnt used the camera since Christmas and it turns out that there is a broken tape in there that wont eject. I tried to gently nudge it...tug at it...no luck. Then, the screws came into focus and out came the mini driver set.

Well, maybe I can take just these two out. Take this piece off...then the tape will eject....BAD IDEA!

Long story short...I have now dismantled the ENTIRE camera beyond repair. Once I realized that I could never get it back together...I just kept going. AND...the tape is still sitting in place within it's metal housing (more like a steel cage) that I still cant get open.

Now I'm in the market for a new camera. Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement???

Jason Dunn
06-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Wow, that sucks! 8O What's your price range on the camera, and what's most important to you in the camera?

encece
06-06-2004, 07:40 AM
yes...I'm a dolt. Been doing stuff like that since I was a kid. :(
Anyway...not sure of a price range. $500 to $700-ish I guess. Give or take. Didnt really look at anything nor current prices yet.

What's important? Digital w/PC connectivity, obviously. Size isn't a factor, small or larger is fine. Decent zoom. Ability to take stills as well.

Effects aren't important as I could always add them after, but the ability for wide screen format is something I like. Not HD (I cant afford that...though it would be cool if I could) just widescreen.

Standard stuff I guess...nothing major. Any recommendations on what's the best deal out there for the bucks?

Suhit Gupta
06-06-2004, 04:21 PM
BTW, and this may be a silly question - did you trying taking the pieces to a camera repair store to see if they can put it together. Of course, this question may be moot if you broke any parts while trying to dismantle it.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
06-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Standard stuff I guess...nothing major. Any recommendations on what's the best deal out there for the bucks?

Well, since your requirements aren't complicated, I'd say something on the Canon ZR series would do the trick and be fairly cheap.

encece
06-06-2004, 06:16 PM
BTW, and this may be a silly question - did you trying taking the pieces to a camera repair store to see if they can put it together. Of course, this question may be moot if you broke any parts while trying to dismantle it.

Suhit

Frustration entered into the picture at a certain point. There are alot of fragile parts in the cassette holder....easily bent. The more frustrated I got...the more things were bent. I know, I'm a dope. I think part of my subconscience was intentionally breaking the camera so I could get a new one. My subconscience is getting to be very expensive!

Suhit Gupta
06-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Frustration entered into the picture at a certain point. There are alot of fragile parts in the cassette holder....easily bent. The more frustrated I got...the more things were bent. I know, I'm a dope. I think part of my subconscience was intentionally breaking the camera so I could get a new one. My subconscience is getting to be very expensive!
No dude, I completely understand. I did a similar thing with an alarm clock once (one of those old school clocks) and when I was finally done dismantling it, in an attempt to fix it of course, it was only trash-worthy :oops:.

Suhit

encece
06-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Well, since your requirements aren't complicated, I'd say something on the Canon ZR series would do the trick and be fairly cheap.

The ZR90 is nice with a 22x Optical Zoom (oddly high).
Do you know how many MegaPix the still camera is. It doesnt say anywhere. I would assume 1.33 but I'm not sure.

Why do you think this series is better than the other Cannon Series cameras or say similar Sony or JVC cameras?

No dude, I completely understand. I did a similar thing with an alarm clock once (one of those old school clocks) and when I was finally done dismantling it, in an attempt to fix it of course, it was only trash-worthy . :oops:

I wish it was only an alarm clock that I broke! But thanks for commiserating.

backpackerx
06-06-2004, 08:23 PM
The only problem with the ZR's is they have terrible low light performance compared to similar models. By low light I mean inside lights. Actually, most of the Canon's non prosumer models struggle with low light except for the new optura 30 and 40. I bought the older optura 20 knowing that it wasn't rated too high in the low light department but was still a little suprised at how it took somewhat grainy indoor shots. It takes amazing outdoor shots however. If home movies and school plays are frequent subject matters I'd look at the Sony's for now until Canon updates the rest of their consumer lines.

encece
06-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Thats actually a great point and points out how little I know about devices. I currently also have a Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera that is terrible indoors. I need to upgrade that as well.

backpackerx
06-06-2004, 08:32 PM
try searching some reviews at www.camcorderinfo.com
www.dvspot.com and www.simplydv.com these sites don't always have the most current reviews but camcorderinfo reviews are really detailed and will rate image and low light quality etc.

encece
06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
thans to all. I'll let you know what I get.