View Full Version : Rogers Cable Releases High-Definition PVR for Canadians

Jason Dunn
06-02-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040601.gthdpvr0601/BNStory/Technology/' target='_blank'>http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040601.gthdpvr0601/BNStory/Technology/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Rogers Cable Inc. will be offering a high-definition personal video recorder (HD PVR) in Ontario, New Brunswick and Newfoundland to Rogers Digital Cable customers. The Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8000HD PVR digital terminal features a dual tuner (which allows you to watch your favourite recorded show, while recording two other shows at the same time), pause, rewind and instant replay live television, and record up to 20 hours of HDTV programming or 90 hours of regular television programming. With the picture-in-picture feature, customers can watch and record one show at the same time and see another show playing in the corner of the television screen."</i><br /><br />Considering the lack of options people in Canada such as myself have for PVR solutions, this announcement is a big deal. ;-) Too bad there's no option for Albertans such as myself. My own PVR experiment with Snapstream's BeyondTV is going fairly well though, which gives me hope.

James Fee
06-02-2004, 03:10 AM
So you can't watch the Flames in HDTV? How sad. :cry:

iand
06-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Lack of options indeed. My area is served by Cogeco, not Rogers, and they don't even offer HDTV. I have Bell Expressvu, which does offer HDTV, but there is only one HD receiver, which is about 3 years old, and the price, rather than going down, has in fact gone up to purchase it. They want $750 for a soon-to-be obsolete HDTV receiver, that doesn't even have a PVR! Oh, wait, but they advertise that you can rent it for only $10 a month... turns out that's only for *new* customers. Meanwhile, their over-compressed standard definition signal looks like crap on my projector. Oh well, I've waited this long, I guess I can wait another year or so until there is another alternative.
/end of rant