View Full Version : Canon s400 any suggestion?

luiskim
06-01-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Canon S400 or S410... the only thing i don't like from it is that the movie can't be longer than 3min...
Is there other camera with similar features? i mean size, lens, flash mode (slow sync), ETC... with unlimited video feature of course... :)
Thanks...

sublime
06-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Are you really considering it's movie capabilities? The quality is crap for still cameras - I mean, absolute crap - so I wouldn't factor movie capabilities into your decision if I were you.

Yeah

igroknful
06-02-2004, 08:22 AM
I agree with sublime. I have an S400 and it's great. I use a Canon Elura40 for video. It's small enough to fit in one of my hp PDA cases.

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I personally prefer a Nikon 3700 or a Pentax Optio S series over the IXUS cameras now (IXUS line feeling rather aged). However as I always say, if you want movies, get a video camera.

luiskim
06-06-2004, 04:58 PM
OK... so if i did not consider the movies too much (i came to realize that i'm not gonna be taking movies longet than 3 minutes), is that Canon S400 a good camera?

I'm really interested on the size and still picture quality (lens) of the camera over the movie one... i can live with not too bad movie quality... :) i just thought that it would be good to have unlimited movie feature for some ocations... i do not need a video recorder either... the camera would do... but whitch of those still cameras would take the best crapy movies?

and can i use an CF SD adapter to use an SD card on a CF camera???
thanks...

Suhit Gupta
06-06-2004, 05:20 PM
The S400 is a great camera IMHO. I bought it for my uncle and before giving it to him, I test drove it for a bit. It is very easy to use, quite fast and takes very good quality images.

As for the CF SD adapter, I have never used it myself but I am quite sure that you can use one.

Suhit

luiskim
06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
i was checking the pentax site and man! those cameras look good too... now... i checked the s4i and its awesome... i didn't read about the s40 one... i guess is a little better than the s41? or which one is the best for the same size? and do the optio s series have unlimited movie feature?

anyways... one of the features that i like the best from the canon s400 is the Slow-Sync flash mode... it kinda flashes firts then it takes the picture... special for night shot for buildings or other stuffs taht are far...

and the last question... witch one has the better lens?
thanks.

PS. Almost everything i know i learned it from PPCT and i guess that everything i'll know, i'll learn it here

Update:
PowerShot s400: 7.4 - 22.2mm (35mm film equivalent: 36-108mm)
OptioS40: smc PENTAX power zoom 5.8mm-17.4mm (equivalent to 35mm-105mm in 35mm format)
F2.6-F4.8, 6 elements in 5 groups (2 dual-sided aspherical elements)

does this mean that the canon lens are bigger? so it can get more light? so it's better? or am i just stupid? :oops:

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-06-2004, 08:09 PM
A rule of photography equipment: Paper specs can never tell the whole story about the performance of a lens.

As for the differences, I'd say the Canon's one is the best, but Optio isn't too shabby, if you get a good sample.