View Full Version : Which input?

alanparrott
05-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I have tried this on another forum without success, hoping someone here can help.

I would like to start copying my CD's (for personal use) to my PC. I realise the best way to do this would be to pop them in the CD reader and rip them. However I have 2 x Pioneer FD1007 300CD juke type boxes. They have Optical outputs. It would be so nice (and easy) to use this output into a sound card and let them play/rip continously.

My questions are 1 - Will it work?
2 - If so, how would the quality compare to analogue (RCA/phono)inputs and direct ripping
3 - Any recommendations on sound card with appropriate inputs?

If this woks it would be a great way to start and for those special discs I could start an individual process.

Any other advice appreciated

Thanks

Alan

Jason Dunn
05-20-2004, 11:12 PM
It won't work. While it might be possible to record the raw incoming digital optical signal, all you'd end up with would be a big file, not a series of CDs. In order for the CD ripping program to access a CD database and download track names, it needs to be able to scan the CD. All you can do with your current setup is dump a raw audio feed, which isn't what you need.

Put them in your CD drive and start ripping - that's the only way. ;-)

James Fee
05-20-2004, 11:35 PM
I always thought that something like this would be a good start. I haven't seen anything in quite some time, but a computer control such as this would be needed.

http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~orn/jukebox/

alanparrott
05-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Jason, thanks.

I understand what you say, but I have all of the CDs catalogued before I put them in the changer.

So I guess the problem would then be editing the large file in to tracks and albums, like you say probably not worth the effort over ripping.

James thanks for your inlput, I have just read someting about a PC/CD changer product called Wintrax http://www.cdcontrol.com/ which looks great but unfortunately it is still awaiting a 32 bit release. When this is available in the summer it might be an option NOT to rip and just play the CDs :D

Thanks

Alan