View Full Version : AnandTech Reviews the Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP

Jason Dunn
05-18-2004, 05:28 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918&p=1' target='_blank'>http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918&p=1</a><br /><br /></div>"Designing a 1600x1200 LCD for gamers was no accident. If you're a casual browser through our forums, you may note the dozens of inquiries about availability of low response time 1600x1200 LCDs. While 1600x1200 LCDs do exist (Dell 2000FP, for example), none of them have been able to pack the punch as a 16ms response time offering. Response time, as you may know, is the measurement, in seconds, as the LCD pixel twists to fully off, and back to fully on again. Although we certainly have our doubts about how important response time is (at least once you start getting under 25ms), many die-hard gamers swear by 16ms timings. Without further ado, let us see if this monitor is in fact just what the doctor ordered..."<br /><br />This review was written back in November 2003, but since I'm hunting for a pair of new LCD screens myself, this review caught my attention. Maximum PC, a magazine I trust completely, raved about this Dell monitor. And so while I was initially reluctant to go up to a 20" and 1600 x 1200 resolution, it's starting to look like that's the direction I'm going to go. Any 2001FP owners out there? What do you think of your monitor?

Philip Colmer
05-18-2004, 07:16 PM
I've got the 2000FP - I think the primary difference with the 2001FP is that the latter is in line with the enhancements Dell have been making to the stand, e.g. adjustable height, etc.

Actually, I've got 2 - one at home and one at work. I got the one at work first because I was having trouble with my eyes and a CRT, even with the refresh rate whacked up. I liked the 2000FP so much that I bought one for use at home with video editing.

Since then, my laptop at work has been upgraded and I now use the 2000FP at work with the digital connection and the quality is superb! The analogue connection at home is good but digital is better if you can manage it.

The picture is really sharp and video editing is probably as harsh a test as I can throw at it since I don't play games. 1600x1200 allows me to see a lot of the Premiere interface at once :D

Sorry that I can't comment on the suitability for games, though.

--Philip