View Full Version : Qualcomm's 6 Megapixel Camera Chips

Jason Dunn
05-14-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040513/tc_nm/telecoms_qualcomm_dc' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040513/tc_nm/telecoms_qualcomm_dc</a><br /><br /></div>"Mobile phone technology provider Qualcomm Inc. (Nasdaq:QCOM - news) on Wednesday unveiled a new line of chips with ultra-high resolution camera features and said it was making inroads in advanced new markets. In a volley of announcements coinciding with the company's spring Wall Street analyst briefing here, Qualcomm introduced the first of its "7000" series, all-in-one chips that offer up to 6-megapixel cameras and full-motion camcorder recording. Six-million pixel image quality would make cameraphones based on Qualcomm chips competitive with the most advanced digital cameras being sold in consumer markets worldwide."<br /><br />Mere hours ago I was commenting on the lack of image quality in cameraphones, and now we have this announcement. 6 MP on a phone? Higher resolution is one thing, but what about the image quality? I've yet to see a photo from a camera that looks decent, regardless of resolution. They all look like they're stuck in the world of 1997 digital cameras, which is not a good thing. Another thing to consider is the storage requirements of a 6 MP JPEG image - you'd need quite a big of memory for it to be practical, and forget about sending that over MMS. Ultimately I think this is moving in the wrong direction - if people could get a high-quality 2 MP image that would make a decent 4x6 print, I think they'd be perfectly content. For those of you that use camera phones, what do you think about this?

js415
05-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, I'm not sure I would ever really need one, even though it would be real fun to have.

Mostly, I am just REALLY excited that an article I sent in was put on the front page!!!!!

This is a first for me, and in my own mind, I am sure I should get some kind of reward. So, with that in mind, I'm going outside, sit by the pool, have a few cold beverages, and make my family some BBQ chicken tonight!!

Anybody wants to come to Atlanta, your more than welcome to join in my celebration!!!

Jerry

Jason Dunn
05-15-2004, 04:49 AM
Mostly, I am just REALLY excited that an article I sent in was put on the front page!!!!!

Congrats dude! :D

James Fee
05-15-2004, 06:08 AM
What kind of memory will a 6 MP phone have to have? 8O

Suhit Gupta
05-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I am guessing that there will have to be an expansion slot, probably SD.

Suhit