View Full Version : Microsoft Abandons WiFi Hardware Effort

Jason Dunn
05-12-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-5209677.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-5209677.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"Despite quickly becoming one of the leading sellers of wireless networking products, Microsoft has decided to discontinue its entire line of Wi-Fi gear, CNET News.com has learned. A source close to the company said Microsoft entered the Wi-Fi field with hopes of "raising the bar" on security, ease-of-use and performance and now feels it has accomplished those goals. Microsoft confirmed the move late Monday. <br /><br />"After careful evaluation, the Microsoft hardware group has decided to scale back its broadband hardware and networking business," a representative said. "Instead, the plan is to apply the knowledge we have gained in that category to future products and services." The move is a dramatic turnaround, considering the company just introduced a USB version of its 802.11g product in February and has only been in the market since September 2002. The company had quickly gained market share in the wireless networking market but lost some ground when it was slower than rivals in introducing 802.11g products."<br /><br />Oh no! 8O I really liked Microsoft's networking hardware, especially their router/access points - the software setup was painless, the instructions were clear, and the products worked quite well. In fact, I was able to abandon the idea of a second access point for reaching the top floor of my home when I switched from a D-Link AP to the Microsoft MN-500. My MN-700 has been a little flaky but overall quite good. I wonder why Microsoft is dropping out? Could it be a concession to other WiFi vendors in order to get them to cooperate with Microsoft initiatives? That's a big sacrifice if so...

rubberdemon
05-12-2004, 04:39 PM
I wonder if this is because the market is becoming commoditized and it's hard for MS to charge a premium? Every time I open an advertising flyer from Future Shop or London Drugs I see SMC or D-Link or someone similar with rock-bottom deals on wireless APs and cards. Flaky sure, but most people only look at the prices on these since they're all more or less interchangeable.