View Full Version : New to Digital Photography

Cameron K
05-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Ok, so I want to get a digital camera. Nothing pro quality, just a point and shoot camera that's small, looks decent, and it's that expensive ($300 range). I'd like at least a 3 MP camera. I've been looking at the Cannon line, and especially like the Powershot SD10 in Black (I'm like a woman in that respect, I always go straight to what looks the neatest). The only problem with the SD10 is that it's $350, and I'd like to keep the price down somewhere below that since I'll be buying accessories (Memory Card, iPod Memory card adapter...you get the picture). So does anyone have any ideas as to what to look for? There's so many different options that I'm overwhelmed, and don't want to be stuck with something that's sub-par.

Zack Mahdavi
05-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Well, first of all, I think a Canon Powershot is a good choice in general. You can never go wrong with one of those.

I think you'd like the Canon Powershot SD110. It uses an SD card, so you can use the iPod memory card adapter to transfer pictures. Also, it's a 3.2 MP camera that's received very good ratings. You can get a really good price on it at Newegg for $279 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-123&depa=0) with free FedEx shipping. Newegg is a wonderful site.. I shop there all the time. I've never had a problem with them.

You should also look into the Minolta Dimage, as they are very small and portable point-and-shoot digital cameras. Also, they produce great images. Casio also makes digital cameras, and their new lineup is very enticing.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-10-2004, 08:51 AM
There's the Nikon 3700 and the Olympus mju 300 too.

Gary Sheynkman
05-11-2004, 01:55 AM
I agree with Lee here...on the Nikon. I would say that Canon and Nikon represent the two best companies in the industry and you cant go wrong with either. That said for a newbee I would say go for the Canon...

Cameron K
05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
I think I might bite the bullet and go with the SD10. Anyone know any cheap (and reliable) places to buy it from? Dell has it for 314, and Best Buy is carrying it for 350. Furthermore, it'd be nice to get the "Deluxe" pack, which comes with a free carrying case.

Suhit Gupta
05-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Check out www.bensbargains.net - It lists the SD10 to be available for aslittle as $277.18.

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
05-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Check out www.bensbargains.net - It lists the SD10 to be available for aslittle as $277.18.

Suhit

Cameron K
05-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I've never heard of Electric Sam. Anyone ever order anything from them? They've got positive reviews, but only 250 of 'em.

[Edit]: Just read some of the reviews. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Suhit Gupta
05-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, 250 ratings is a lot, most of them positive, and with a large number of orders, you are bound to find the occasional horror story. They appear to be generally quite good. Their biggest problem appears to be customer service. But ultimately it is up to you.

Anyways, there are other vendors there that are still better than Dell's or Best Buy's prices.

Suhit