View Full Version : New FireWire Technology To Be Demonstrated at WinHEC

Kent Pribbernow
05-04-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040503005794&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040503005794&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div>"The 1394 Trade Association will bring a new set of FireWire technology demonstrations to this year's Windows Hardware Engineering Conference May 4-7 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center in Seattle. Developed and managed by Oxford Semiconductor, a leader in 1394 product design, the demonstrations will be part of the Windows Community Pavilion on the WinHEC floor."<br /><br />"In the second demo, Oxford Semiconductor also will provide a demonstration of a 1394b RAID system showing the ability to stripe at 80 MBytes/second speeds, almost three times as fast as USB 2.0, which completes the same striping tasks at only 30 MBytes/second. The 1394b version of the standard, which also is known as FireWire 800, delivers speeds up to 800 Megabits/second and distances up to 100 meters, making it ideal for long-range home entertainment network backbones and other applications."<br /><br />Sounds interesting. This will really open the Firewire to new possibilities. Speeds up to 3x faster than USB 2.0? Sweet!

piperpilot
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow! I hate to sound like a complete idiot, but does that have a translation in English?

I joined this site to learn. I guess I have a long way to go :crazyeyes:

James Fee
05-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Not much for the average users, but it does showcase the speed of firewire and their response to the threat of USB 2.0 (are we supposed to start calling it USB Highspeed??? ;) )

Mojo Jojo
05-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Cool, glad to see this making its way into PC's. The Firewire 800 is already available on most of the Apple laptops and G5 units and I would be glad to see this become more of a standard over USB 2 for the speed and peripherals it would create.

that_kid
05-04-2004, 07:21 PM
8) now this is nice, I prefer firewire over usb and now it's faster. Oh I can't wait to get something that supports it :o.