View Full Version : Mitsubishi’s High-def DVR Box

Suhit Gupta
04-26-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Apr/1032792.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Apr/1032792.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc., unveiled the consumer electronics industry's most advanced HDTV receiver/controller, the HD-6000. The HD-6000, which will be available at selected retailers in later this year, was introduced at the company's annual dealer line show in Huntington Beach, Calif. The HD-6000 includes a high definition PVR (personal video recorder) with a 120-gigabyte hard drive; an MPEG SD encoder; CableCARD(R) slot; AMVP2(TM), Mitsubishi's second-generation Advanced Multimedia Video Processor; an all-format ATSC digital receiver; and an analog NTSC tuner. The unit also includes Mitsubishi's NetCommand(R) 4.0 system control, PerfectColor(TM) 6-way color adjustment and TV Guide On Screen(R) electronic program guide.<br /><br />Networking is easier than ever, as the HD-6000 comes with a wide array of analog and digital inputs and outputs, which, when matched with NetCommand, makes it the control center for a premier home theater system. The seven inputs include one HDMI, two composite video, two S-Video and three component video inputs. Outputs include one HDMI, one composite video, one S-Video and one component video, along with two FireWire(R) (IEEE 1394) digital home networking ports."<br /><br />With the 120GB hard drive, the HD-6000 is able to record up to 12 hours of high definition recording, but that is a bit low in my opinion. I guess there will either have to be a newer version at some point, or like Tivo, someone will have to come up with a hack to upgrade the hard drive 8-). The HD-6000 will be available later this year. No information on costs.

Fitch
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty surprised it's only 120GB... Maybe they'll offer different sizes at different price points. Right now, an OEM can get a 120GB for $60, and maybe a 200GB for $100. I'd pay an extra $40 for 4 hours more HD record time ('cause the box will probably be $1000 to begin with!!)

Suhit Gupta
04-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Exactly, that was my point. It seems very odd that they would go for only 120GB for an HDTV setup. 200GB would be better but I would even like to see the 300GB, or perhaps a dual drive systen. Seriously, if it is possible, then why not do it.

Suhit