View Full Version : Dell Digital Jukebox

cscullion
04-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Is anyone else using the Dell Digital Jukebox? I really like mine. I'm also really enjoying the MusicMatch music service that comes with it. I'd used Musicmatch for quite a while before getting the Dell, so it was nice and comfortable just adding the Dell and the music download capabilities (previously, I just used MM for ripping my own CDs).

I find the screen navigation to be very easy and intuitive, and the battery life is nothing short of amazing.

I have noticed a few quirks with the synchronization software in MM... it sometimes leaves files on the DDJ that I had deleted or renamed in MM. Anyone else ever see that? I can usually correct it by manually deleting the file from the DDJ, so it's not too inconvenient. Sometimes it also doesn't pick up changes to the playlist made on the MM side. To fix that, I have to delete the playlist on the DDJ and re-synch. It would also be nice if DDJ would have a mode to play an album in the original album order. Sometimes I get lucky and it's already correct, but most of the time I have to create a playlist for each new album that has the songs in the original album order. I'm not sure if this is a DDJ or MM problem. Since I only occasionally add new songs, these are minor annoyances.

I also notice that you can easily over-do the equalizer. By that, I mean you can set it so that the playback becomes highly distorted. I had a setting that I thought was really good for the kind of music I listen to (mostly classic rock), but when I recently played the first song on Norah Jones' new album, Igot some nasty distortions on the long high notes (y'know, where she sings that "whoo-oo-oo-oo" part). I fixed it by reverting to one of the pre-set EQ values.

These are really minor annoyances. I use my DDJ constantly and just love it. I have an iRock FM transmitter in my car. I played a big chunk of my music collection on a recent family drive to Orlando (about 8 hours with no commercials and great music, and not one notch on the battery meter 8O ).

Anyway, other user experiences? Anyone?

James Fee
04-16-2004, 06:39 PM
A good resource for the Dell DJ is Dell DJ Site (http://www.delldjsite.com/) which is run by a good friend of mine.

cscullion
04-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks... that's a very helpful site!

Bud Pritchard
05-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm real happy with my 15gig Dell DJ. $100 less than the IPod. Just couldn't see anything worthwhile for the extra $$$.

Opted for the 15gig so the $$ difference for the 20gig could be used for mobile attachments.

Already had MusicMatchbox 8.2. Burns and transfers to DJ just fine.

jbachandouris
05-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Can the Dell be used as an external hard drive? Since you can only place music on it using the Music Match software, I don't see how.

Anyway, who else has purchased one and what do you think of it?