View Full Version : Memory Prices Skyrocket - Ouch!

Jason Dunn
04-16-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5191050.html' target='_blank'>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5191050.html</a><br /><br /></div>"The price rise of more than 70 percent this year is in sharp contrast to analysts' expectations at the end of 2003, when they forecast prices would slide as new production technology increased supply. As a result, profits for chipmakers are increasing, and their share prices are surging as analysts and traders now predict that memory prices will stay strong this year. The price rise is related to at least two factors: Some manufacturers have run into problems using the latest production technology, and many have switched from making basic memory to flash memory for camera phones and digital cameras."<br /><br />I can attest to this first hand - I bought some RAM last week, and I paid $199 CND for 512 MB. 8O That's far more expensive than I was expecting it to be - the vendor said that they had three price jumps <i>in one day</i>. Given how important RAM is for digital media work, this isn't good news. Hope you all stocked up on RAM for Christmas!

Steve
04-16-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm glad I've got all I need, but I sincerely hope I don't need to buy a new machine for anything anytime soon. Things seem to be rising in price, which is a huge dissapointment for guys like me. I always seem to need soem sort of an upgrade for new software and more demanding jobs... Hardware is a pain. I can't really complain about ram though, the prices may be rising, but they are still fair enough. I guess... heh.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Oh fish. This is just great, when I need a major overhaul of my computer. Last week it was $195 on average here, up from $140 previously. Now I shudder to think how much it'll cost.

that_kid
04-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I better hurry up and upgrade my main pc's. I've been happy at the drop in cpu prices but it seems that memory is taking up the slack. I still remember the days of buying 256meg of pc 133 for $13.

Spongebob
04-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi, i just bought some ram for my sony, and I bought it from Crucial.com and it came with free shipping. 256x2=512, and it cost 113.99 a piece. My computer is doing much better since I was only running 128 previously.
I want the Fujitsu S7000D, and it hold 2 gigs of ram :!: :rock on dude!:
Something to think about, it is cheaper buying the ram from a third party than if you bought it from the manufacturer of your computer. I know there is exceptions to that is there is to everything else, but holds true. If I werer to buy 512 megs from Sony it would have been a lot more than 113.99 per 256 :wink:

Zack Mahdavi
04-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Darn... and I was needing some more RAM too! ugggh... how long do we think this dowturn (or upturn, based on perspective) will last?