View Full Version : Flash Digital Music Player Recommendations

ale_ers
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
I have an old buggy Nike PSA player that is in need of an upgrade. I am currently looking at the Rio Cali http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1356755,00.asp because it seems closet in feature set.

My requirements are:
Expandable (I would like to be able to use my SD cards from my PPC)
Joggable (that is why I want a flash player, so it can bounce)
FM radio would be nice
Water resistant (I know it won’t withstand a monsoon, but a little sweat or a light mist shouldn’t cause it to rust)

Finally, I don’t know if this is possible but does anyone have a flash player that they can use the SD card in both their PPC and player without having to re-encode. I would love to fill a 256 card with music and pop it from my player to my ipaq without missing a beat. This does not work in my current player or in a limited test of of few friends' players.

Gary Sheynkman
04-07-2004, 03:26 AM
one word man: iRiver

Their players are the best on the market right now

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Don't think I've seen a player that has all that. Nike-Philip's PSA doesn't have a FM radio, I'm not sure if it sports a SD slot, and the MPIO's are certainly not water resistant..

As for using it with a PPC, do you mean WMA compatibility?

Cameron K
04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Gary, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see any iRiver flash player that is expandable. I'd have to say that after doing a quick (only 10 minutes or so) search, the Rio you pointed out is probably the best option that I've found so far. And if it's built like my Rio Nitrus, I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the build quality of the Cali, either. A good site to check out before you purchase a rio product is riovolution (www.riovolution.com). That should give you an idea of problems that people are having, and the general consensus of what many feel the player is like.

ale_ers
04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys, I think the Rio Cali is the closest to what I want. I just don't think I'll be able to switch cards from my player to my Pocket PC without re-encoding.

By the way, Nike is coming out with a new player that has a FM radio. I loved the form factor of my current PSA, but it is so buggy that I don't think I would get another one.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-07-2004, 03:25 PM
From what I see, the Cali does MP3 and WMA, so it should work..

Cameron K
04-07-2004, 05:34 PM
hehe, actually Rio made those devices for Nike. :lol:

ale_ers
04-07-2004, 08:19 PM
hehe, actually Rio made those devices for Nike. :lol:

True they made the first batch (the one I have), but I think all the new ones are made by Philips.

By the way here is the new one I mentioned:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_Nike_MP3/4505-6490_7-30825060.html?tag=lst

Gary Sheynkman
04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Gary, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see any iRiver flash player that is expandable. I'd have to say that after doing a quick (only 10 minutes or so) search, the Rio you pointed out is probably the best option that I've found so far. And if it's built like my Rio Nitrus, I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the build quality of the Cali, either. A good site to check out before you purchase a rio product is riovolution (www.riovolution.com). That should give you an idea of problems that people are having, and the general consensus of what many feel the player is like.

No i guess not but they do offer up to 1GB in memory although they are pricey

ale_ers
04-22-2004, 10:13 PM
one word man: iRiver

Their players are the best on the market right now

Looks like PC mag agreed with you Gary...they just gave the iRiver their editors choice:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1566061,00.asp

Now I have to reconsider...I just wish I could find a player where I could fill a 256 sd card up with music, then use it in my Pocket PC or my player. I use each one for different times and it would be nice to be consistent.

KidKomputer
07-01-2004, 04:54 AM
ale_ers,
You might want to check out the MPIO fl100 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1057490619391&skuId=5767404&type=product it's fairly cheap, has fm, is reasonably small, can play mp3/wma, I can pop the sd card into my ipaq 2210 and play files, and when in the case is probbably waterproof enough for you. I took it snowboarding about 15 times last season and it works fine/no rust.

ale_ers
07-07-2004, 04:58 PM
ale_ers,
You might want to check out the MPIO fl100 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1057490619391&skuId=5767404&type=product it's fairly cheap, has fm, is reasonably small, can play mp3/wma, I can pop the sd card into my ipaq 2210 and play files, and when in the case is probbably waterproof enough for you. I took it snowboarding about 15 times last season and it works fine/no rust.

Thanks Kid, but I ended up buying a Rio Cali (actually I got it for Father's Day). I have not tried to use the SD card in both my ppc and my ipaq, but so far it has been a great unit. I even ran the Peachtree Road Race with it (World's largest 10K race) and it survived the sweat, heat and water that was sprayed on to it by the various hoses from the spectators.