View Full Version : Are The Digital Media Dark Ages Over - I'd Say Yes, They Are

Jason Dunn
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/another-game.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/another-game.shtml</a><br /><br /></div>Another strong article from Michael Reichmann at The Luminous Landscape, and quite a sobering one to many of you. I'd encourage you to give this a read and let it impact your purchasing decisions. <br /><br />"The truth of the matter is, that there is now (Q2 — 2004) precious little real-world difference between comparably speced cameras when it comes to image quality. During the past year or so I have tested digital cameras and digital backs from Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Pentax, Olympus, Leaf, Minolta, Phase One, Imacon, Sony and many others. These have not been casual tests. In almost every case I have shot with these cameras and backs on locations around the world, in each case from hundreds to thousands of frames. I have dissected image quality, looking at differences at various ISO settings, long exposure setting and so on. I have put these cameras through tests on the DxO Analyzer system (a new $20,000 optical testing system designed for digital cameras and lenses).<br /><br />Do I see differences? Of course I do. In almost every area with every camera. But — and here's the main point, so don't doze off — the image quality differences between competitive cameras are becoming very small indeed. In fact when I'm doing comparisons unless I am very careful in naming files and labeling prints it is sometimes almost impossible to tell which is which..."<br /><br />Like most reviewers, there was a phase in my writing career when specifications were more important than the actual solution provided by the hardware or software. Specifications are important, but only to a point - if company XYZ were to release a motherboard aimed at hard-core gamers, but they only included a 400 mhz system bus, that would be out of sync with where the industry standard is at (800 mhz). But once you get to that standard, does the chipset (which may impact performance by 5%) really matter? To some extent this might be a bad example because motherboards are all about specs, not ergonomics or usability - but I trust you see my point. :wink:<br /><br />When I started out in my <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,4484">review of the S400</a>, I was quite intimidated because I thought "Gosh, people are going to be expecting a review as detailed <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons400/">as what dpreview did?"</a> Ultimately I decided that I would write the kind of review that I'd want to read myself - one that focused more on how I used the camera and what problems it solved for me, rather than zoomed crops and hunting for chromatic aberrations. That's not to say that the dpreview style of reviews don't have their place - I certainly use it as a starting point for reviews and respect Phil Askey a great deal. But the fact that digital photography has evolved to the point where we can focus more on the ergonomics of the camera and real usability issues rather than nit-picking over image quality is a <i>good</i> thing. It means that camera makes can no longer hide behind the "We have more megapixels than that guy" argument - they'll have to innovate in other ways.<br /><br />This argument also extends to the audio format war, and ultimately why I get a little irked when people scream that 192 kbps OGG files sound <i><b>COMPLETELY SUPERIOR</b></i> to 192 kbps WMA files, or vice-versa. Sure, there will be noticeable differences between a 64 kbps MP3 and a 128 kbps WMA, but once you get to a certain quality level (I'd say anything above 160 kbps), the differences are so small that to most people, it simply doesn't matter. Then other factors come into play that matter more - which format does my audio player use? Which one encodes faster? Which one costs less?<br /><br />I'd love to hear some feedback from you about this issue, but let's all be brutally honest with ourselves before posting, shall we?

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Which is what I've been saying all this while. I've always encouraged people to head down to a store to try out the cameras to see which one they like the best for this reason. No point getting the camera with the best features if it's going to be a pain to use.

This reminds me of the time when I thought I'd dip my toes in the digital camera market, and I was choosing between the Canon G2 and the Nikon 995. While the G2 had better reviews, I didn't think the differences were that big, I ultimately preferred the 995's egronomics, and bought that in the end.

Gary Sheynkman
04-05-2004, 11:29 PM
I think it is great that the spec sheet playing field has been neutralized to a point where companies HAVE to innovate in order to draw a crowd.

Crocuta
04-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Useability has always been where it's at for real users. Of course, you want as much information as you can get, so technical review sites are useful, but it's easy to overemphasize small differences in models and Michael is right on the money about this with all three of his essays. I'd rather get the shot with a camera that has excellent image quality than miss the shot with a camera with superior image quality. (If image quality were poor, then I wouldn't care if I got the shot or not.) This is especially true when you have to enlarge the images dramatically to see any difference. With image quality high across the board now, I'm glad that we've come back around to features and ergonomics as the defining characteristics of a brand.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-06-2004, 10:17 AM
But it's a hard thing for many armchair reviewers to do as it requires one to actually use a camera! :lol:

Jonathon Watkins
04-08-2004, 03:08 AM
The other day I was choosing between the Canon Powershot Pro1 and the Minolta A2. The reviews so far seem to point toward the Minolta having noisier output than the Canon, but what swung it was using them both (well, a A1 as a susitute as the A2 is not out yet) and fining that the Canon was much nicer to use and just felt better.

Then again, it has more features that I was wanting, so in the end it comes down to the whole package.

I am playing with my new Powershot Pro1 just now. :D

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Hmm.. I preferred the A2 actually. Nicer grip, better dials, nicer viewfinder, and no motorised zoom! =D The downers are a proprietary hotshoe, and that's about it. =P

Actually, at those prices, I prefer the D70. =P

Jason Dunn
04-08-2004, 09:58 AM
I am playing with my new Powershot Pro1 just now. :D

Ohhh.....nice! :D