View Full Version : Favorite Media Format?

Zack Mahdavi
03-26-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm curious... what's your favorite media option?

Here's my story:

My first digital camera is a Sony with memory stick. At that time, I liked memory stick, but now I hate it. It's expensive and proprietary...

Nowadays, all of my devices have SD cards, which I have fallen in love with. They're small, mostly reliable, and fast...

So that's my story.. what's yours?

Zack Mahdavi
03-26-2004, 11:28 PM
Oops.. look like my last option didn't appear in the poll..

Well, the last option was "other..."

Suhit Gupta
03-27-2004, 12:40 AM
I wish I could pick two. I like both SD and CF equally. I picked CF for now since it is available in bigger sizes (i.e. 4GB/8GB etc) while the biggest SD is 1GB right now. And also because there are high speed CF cards available unlike SD, at least AFAIK.

Suhit

Bob12
03-27-2004, 05:06 AM
I don't really have a favorite - I just use what my cameras take. Currently, I have a Sony which uses mini-CDs and a Canon EOS D60 which uses CF. The D60 is being replaced with a Canon EOS-1D Mark II which uses both CF and SD (soon, I hope :) )

Raven
03-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Whatever's the cheapest...CF in this case. They also seem the most indestructible.

I have had some bad experiences with SD cards. Haven't used any other format.

Suhit Gupta
03-27-2004, 05:30 AM
I have had some bad experiences with SD cards. Haven't used any other format.
I also find that occasionally my SD card seems way too flimsy or that it is so small/light, that I would lose it.

Suhit

Crocuta
03-27-2004, 05:38 AM
I have CF, SD and MS for various devices I own and the difference hasn't really toubled me much because I tend to use the same card in the same device. But still, purely from a user standpoint (i.e. not price or capacity) I like the SD form factor best. It's just big enough not to lose, but it's nice and tiny and light. If it were as cheap as CF and had comparable capacity options, then I'd prefer it hands-down.

But it's not as cheap and it's not as high capacity, so I'd have to vote for CF overall. It's the cheapest, largest capacity and fastest... what's not to like?

Memory stick is at the bottom of my list. Neither the size nor shape is particularly compelling, the capacities are low and they're expensive. What's to like? Oh yeah, the products Sony makes that use them.

When I look at a camera (or whatever), I consider all the features. Using a MS is a definite negative, but Sony's design team does a nice job of making devices that I find intuitive and comfortable to use. So I often end up buying them anyway.

Of course, my largest camera resolution is still under 3MP so far, so maybe that's why MSs are still okay. If you were shooting RAW files at 6-12MP, there's no way you could use MS.

OSUKid7
04-10-2004, 09:26 PM
What?! No smart media?? lol j/k :D

My camera still uses smart media though lol....I have about five 8 MB cards. It works fairly well for my 1.3 megapixel olympus camera. (I really should get a new one soon. :|)

I use SD the most though. Have a 256 and a 128 MB card for my iPaq Pocket PC. My sister's camera uses CF though, so I have a 8-in-1 adapter for my computer that takes just about everything. :lol:

Anyway, I voted SD. Just wish it was faster and cheaper. :roll: