View Full Version : Copy VHS to Computer

hoffm11
03-24-2004, 01:32 AM
I am looking for a way to copy VHS tapes to my computer so I can burn them to DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jason Dunn
03-24-2004, 05:28 PM
There are many ways to accomplish this, so a few questions first. :-)

Do you have a digital video camera? If not, are you planning on buying one?

Do you want to copy them to a laptop or a desktop computer?

hoffm11
03-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Jason,

I have a miniDV camcorder that I am transfering files with. I decided to try this to see how it works.

Xpert DVD Maker USB2.0 Xpert DVD MAKER USB2.0
I got it on eCost for $50.

Jason Dunn
03-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I have a miniDV camcorder that I am transfering files with. I decided to try this to see how it works.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. :-) I've used all sorts of "VHS capture" solutions, but the best results have come from using my MiniDV camera to dump the video to a computer - this is called "analogue passthrough", and usually requires you to put the camera into a specific mode, then it's just a matter of clicking capture on the desktop PC software, and pressing play on the VCR. Let us know how it turns out!

DFurey
04-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Not having a miniDV to use. Are any of the USB devices out there any good? All I want to do is make DVD's from old VHS titles (no longer available), using S-Video.

I have looked at reviews of the Plextor PX-M402U. Thought I had found a winner, but I then started finding reports that it has synching problems.

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Dave

Jason Dunn
04-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Not having a miniDV to use. Are any of the USB devices out there any good? All I want to do is make DVD's from old VHS titles (no longer available), using S-Video.

I haven't tested the new ADS Instant DVD:

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV702/intro/usb702intro.asp?pid=USBAV702

...but it looks promising. This is a goal for our review team - to test out some of these less expensive USB capture devices - so watch for some reviews in the future. But for now, I don't have any advice...

DFurey
04-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Jason,

I am bouncing between the Plextor PX-M402U and the ADS Instant DVD 2.0.

I like the features of the Plextor, but there aren't any decent reviews of the unit. Nothing in depth that says YES or NO, just a bunch or marketing hype over and over. One review said the first time it didn't work (synch problems) the other two times it did. No explanation of the problem (in detail) or anything. I also can't find a forum for the Plextor, no help there.

The ADS unit has a forum and I have been able to get a lot of information from it. People have had problems, but people have found workarounds and possible causes (software) so there is a community supporting the product. I am more confortable with this unit so far, just doesn't have as many features as the Plextor.

As with any technology related purchase, there is always a new product you like. Just no details, reviews (real) to help you decide on which one - the one you know will work or the new kid on the block which sounds perfect for you (just can't prove it).

Jason Dunn
04-22-2004, 04:02 AM
Buy one and review it for us then. ;-)

DFurey
04-22-2004, 06:47 AM
I knew you were going to say that :-)

Hmmmm, which one...

DFurey
04-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Still banging head on table :crazyeyes:

Which one...

Jason Dunn
04-23-2004, 06:30 AM
I'll make the decision for you: buy the Plextor from someplace that has a decent return policy just in case you want to return it. But between ADS and Plextor, I'd trust Plextor to make a higher quality product (sorry ADS!).

bryus
05-13-2004, 03:01 PM
I was checking out the ADS Tech DVD Express 2.0 (USBAV-701) and the Avermedia DVD EZMAKER PRO USB 2.0 ( MDVDEZPUS ) and was wondering if anyone could help me choose which is better for my needs.

I want to transfer video from my old Hi-8 camcorder and from VHS to CD. I don't have a DVD burner right now so I was hoping VCD would work for now. I have a laptop so USB is the only way to go.

Thoughts?

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I am now looking for a way to do this also. With the time that has passed since this thread began, is there anything new?

Jason Dunn
02-25-2005, 09:47 PM
I am now looking for a way to do this also. With the time that has passed since this thread began, is there anything new?

Do you have a MiniDV camera of have any plans to get one? Or maybe have one you can borrow from a friend?

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
That's still the easiest way? Yeah I could probably borrow one. But those take the little tapes right?

Jason Dunn
02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
That's still the easiest way? Yeah I could probably borrow one. But those take the little tapes right?

Here's what you do: connect the VCR to the video camera and use what's called "analog passthrough" - this allows you to get what's on the VCR onto your PC over Firewire...without needing any extra equipment. Most MiniDV cameras sold in North America support analog passthrough.

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
OK that makes sense. Realtime though eh? Guess there aren't too many ways around that. :cry:

Jason Dunn
02-25-2005, 11:50 PM
OK that makes sense. Realtime though eh? Guess there aren't too many ways around that. :cry:

Right, there's no way around that.

mrozema
11-30-2005, 01:51 AM
At home I have my VCR hooked up directly to my ATI all-in-wonder card and use the packaged software to capture the video. What advantage is there to "analogue passthrough" over my current setup (if any)?