View Full Version : Need video camera recommendations $500 to $700

backpackerx
03-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Well, I'm ready to take the plunge and upgrade my camera from Hi-8 to MiniDV.

I've looked at the Canon ZR series and the Eluras and Opturas. Primarily I'm looking for picture quality and sound quality as I would like to make home DVD's.

What else should I look at? I really want to see a review on that new 3 CCD Panasonic that comming out for $699.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Given your budget, I think something in the upper end of the ZR series would be a good fit, but any Canon MiniDV camera would be a good fit - I tend to prefer them over Sony and Panasonic cameras, but I haven't tried other brands like JVC and Samsung lately. If the quality on the 3CCD Panasonic camera is up to par, and the rest of the camera is solid, that would seem to be a big winner. ;-)

backpackerx
03-23-2004, 05:34 AM
What's your opinion between the ZRs and the Eluras?

specifically I'm now looking at the ZR 90 and the Elura 50

Jason Dunn
03-23-2004, 08:20 PM
What's your opinion between the ZRs and the Eluras? specifically I'm now looking at the ZR 90 and the Elura 50

I don't recall there being much difference in quality, but I was also reviewing a different generation of units. Honestly, the biggest difference is probably in the body design - do you prefer to shoot with a vertical camera, or a more traditional horizontal camera? The 22x optical zoom lens on the ZR90 is better than the zoom on the Eulura, but that may not be a factor for you.

backpackerx
03-24-2004, 05:42 AM
Well, it seems the Canon ZRs have a problem with lower light shooting compared to other models in the same class.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm starting to give Sony a look again even though I don't like/use Memory Sticks.

makicr
03-26-2004, 03:22 AM
I have the Sony DCR-TRV38 and I like it. If purchased from Sony, it will exceed your budget, but there are some good sites and stores that have better prices. If you can do with the smaller LCD, you can shave off some cost there, too.

I find that the Sony does very well in low light, and even with "no" light, with the Nightshot feature (using IR). I have a 52" widescreen T.V. and the picture is as good or better than broadcast (but not as good as HD).

However, the Canon has optical image stabilization in the hardware, as opposed to software stabilization.

In my research, I found that the 3CCD cameras had quite a bit of trouble with low light, due to the small size of the CCDs. TechTv had a brief discussion of the new Panasonic 3CCD camera, but I have not seen a review.

Regarding the Memory Stick, I have probably taken 2 still pictures with the camcorder in the 4 months that I have had it. With the limited quality, I prefer to carry my still camera in my camcorder bag. If you are the same, the form-factor of the still-photo storage shouldn't matter much.

backpackerx
03-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the insight. I've narrowed it down to either the Sony TRV 22 or 33 or the Canon Optura 20. I was set to order the Optura 20 but started to read things about motor noise in recording. That made me pause so I'm going to take a day or two to read some more.

Anyone use the Optura 20 or 10? I'd be interested to hear opinions.
The other thing I'm wondering is if I'll miss the manual options on the Sony line? I would like to do some creative stuff at some point so I don't know if the lack of many manual controls on the Sony would hinder me.

backpackerx
03-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Well, I ordered the Optura 20. I got it for $500 from B&H photo and if you order by March 31st there is a free copy of Pinnacle 8 SE and a 32Mb SD card. Overall I think it was a pretty good deal for a camera that retailed for $1000 a year ago.
I'm looking forward to going digital!

makicr
03-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I ordered my camcorder from B&H and was very pleased with their product and shipping (even though UPS tried to delay my shipment). Let us know how you like your new toy.

signothefish
03-27-2004, 12:56 AM
I have the Sony DCR-TRV38 and I like it. If purchased from Sony, it will exceed your budget, but there are some good sites and stores that have better prices. If you can do with the smaller LCD, you can shave off some cost there, too.

I find that the Sony does very well in low light, and even with "no" light, with the Nightshot feature (using IR). I have a 52" widescreen T.V. and the picture is as good or better than broadcast (but not as good as HD).

However, the Canon has optical image stabilization in the hardware, as opposed to software stabilization.

In my research, I found that the 3CCD cameras had quite a bit of trouble with low light, due to the small size of the CCDs. TechTv had a brief discussion of the new Panasonic 3CCD camera, but I have not seen a review.

Regarding the Memory Stick, I have probably taken 2 still pictures with the camcorder in the 4 months that I have had it. With the limited quality, I prefer to carry my still camera in my camcorder bag. If you are the same, the form-factor of the still-photo storage shouldn't matter much.

I just bought this camera about 2 weeks ago and took it out to CA for a week. Shot about 4 hours of video and every single scene looked very clear, regardless of which time of day it was shot. I have clips shot in the morning, noon, dusk, and a parade at nighttime. I did a lot of research beforehand, and for the $$, you really can't do much better than the TRV38. I bought mine for $529 at an online camera sales store in NY. If you do a search in froogle.com, you'll come up with several. I also bought the Energizer extended battery that replaces the Sony QM71D for about $30 on ebay brand new.

backpackerx
03-31-2004, 05:30 AM
Ok, first impressions of the Optura 20:

1. The low light modes aren't very useful. They can only be used with little to no movement because it just slows down the shutter speed. The white LED is fairly bright but is stupidly utilized. The only way it turns on is in super night mode which means you have like a 1/8 shutter and still can't record movement. If the LED could be turned on and off at will this would solve a big problem.

2. The "famous" motor noise problem. I definitely heard this and it almost seems like it could be more of a feedback issue than the motor itself. It's not "too" bad but it is noticeable. I've heard it's not much of an issue when you transfer to computer---will see.

3. Now for the good stuff. The image quality is amazing and the colors are more true than nearly any other camera in it's class.

4.The built in mic records in either 12 bit or 16 sound and is very high quality. 12 bit allows for post production dubbing.

5. Good manual control of features.

6. Nice big 3.5 LCD.

7. Better battery life and optical zoom length than many cameras it's price.

8. Some of the best looking stills for a consumer camera.

The other camera in this category is the Sony trv-38 mentioned which is a great camera. The Optura beats it on a couple levels and loses out on a couple levels. From my research I chose the Optura because; A. It's around $100 to $150 cheaper. B. It has a better CCD C. There are better manual controls. Obviously it loses out in low light situations and for motor noise. For $100 cheaper I can deal with this.

Gary Sheynkman
04-16-2004, 11:41 PM
wow! thanks for the quick review. Very thoughful of you. I can host some video if you want to do samples