View Full Version : Kazaa Programmer Sues for $25 Million

Jason Dunn
03-19-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5175660.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5175660.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"A programmer who helped write the original version of the popular Kazaa file-swapping software is suing its current owner Sharman Networks for $25 million, saying he still owns part of the copyright to the program. Romanian developer Fabian Toader, who helped write the program for its original owners, said in a court filing that he never signed any contract that gave away the copyright to his code. He's asking Sharman for $25 million in a case filed early this month in Los Angeles federal court. Sharman, which bought the Kazaa software from its original owners, a European company called Kazaa BV, says Toader's claim is without merit."<br /><br />So let's see here...a programmer who created a program to help illegally distribute the intellectual property of others is suing the company for not paying him what he deserves for his intellectual property? :roll: Hello, Fabian? This is IRONY calling! :lol:

OSUKid7
03-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Well, the kazaa program hasn't done anything illegal. :roll:

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Also, it is a bit surprising that he is coming forth with this information now, given that Kazaa has been around for some time now. I wonder whether it was due to a recent breakdown in relations between the two parties.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-19-2004, 02:47 AM

Do you honestly believe it was created for any other purpose though? I'm not an RIAA fan by any means, but let's be honest with ourselves, P2P networks were created to primarily to trade copywritten works of others, nothing else.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Do you honestly believe it was created for any other purpose though? I'm not an RIAA fan by any means, but let's be honest with ourselves, P2P networks were created to primarily to trade copywritten works of others, nothing else.
I have to agree with Jason here, if the tool is designed to perform well at a certain task (in this case exchange files), well then that is what it will be used for. But then of course, this is one of the hot debate topics out there.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-19-2004, 04:14 AM

I agree :wink:

The digital millenium act protects the creator of a program from liability as to how the program is used...

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 05:31 AM
I agree :wink:

The digital millenium act protects the creator of a program from liability as to how the program is used...
Hmm, this may be OT, but don't you see a flaw with your statement? Are you saying that the dma exonerates a programmer from any liability, whether the program does "wrong" intentionally or not? What about viruses/worms?

Suhit

Tim Williamson
03-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Sue sue sue sue sue sue sue
Sue the world to death
Sue sue sue sue sue some more.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Heh. Nothing like some haiku to solve the world's problems ;-)

Suhit