View Full Version : CompactFlash Horror Story

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003May/pda20030501018559.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003May/pda20030501018559.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Someone suggested I post my story here how about I put my Mr. Flash 256 MB CompactFlash card through the paces. My 256 MB CF card went through the wash (no big deal) ... and then I put it in our oven intending to cook it at 200F to dry it out for an hour ... Well, my wife didn't know it was there and decided to cook some dinner. This is just a freak phenomenon, because my wife almost NEVER cooks anything in the oven. Macaroni and cheese is a delicacy at our house, which is cool because for some serendipitous reason I happen to love the stuff..."<br /><br />I think you can see where this is going. 8O Have you ever had anything traumatic happen to your Flash memory?

Gary Sheynkman
03-18-2004, 03:02 AM
HA! what a great story!

Fortunatly I dont try to make roast electronics at my household :lol:

Kevin Jackson
03-18-2004, 03:11 AM
Whoooaaa . . . Dude . . . You baked your CF card?

Cool :D

That is too funny.

Crocuta
03-18-2004, 04:49 AM
Whoa, that's amazing. I sure don't plan to be baking my flash cards any time soon, but it sure makes me feel better about the security of the information on them that they can go through that kind of punishment and still work. Then again, it's just one case. How about if several of the rest of you test this out and let me know if it works for you too! :lol:

Kevin Jackson
03-18-2004, 05:04 AM
I'll get right on it!

:P

:D

OSUKid7
03-18-2004, 05:09 AM
My 256 MB USB drive went through the wash a few weeks ago. The little read-only switch fell off, and the casing is a little shaky now. Good thing I don't use that nearly as much as my SD cards (which I always keep in cases or in my iPaq).

ojlittle
03-18-2004, 06:21 AM
I had a compact flash card & this one time at band camp...... 8O

Lotto
03-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I had a compact flash card & this one time at band camp...... 8O

lol

Steven Hughes
03-18-2004, 07:12 PM
OK, I got a rather unfortunate/humorous one...two...

I was switching out an SD card while holding one of my kids and with their constant wiggling I managed to drop it. I then actually "trapped it" on my foot and proceeded to flick back up to my hand, my daughter thinking it was a game batted it away before I could grab it, sending it skidding across the floor. Our cat thinking it a game proceeded to bat it around the house (like it does with anything plastic that hits our floors like those alphabet magnets, children toys etc...) sending it flying under our cellar door.

That doesn't sound so bad, but where it landed is... We have a cat door cut into the wall and the cats have their litter box guess where, under the stairs... and that is where my SD card landed... 8O

Being almost borderline OCB about catching something, I sprayed it and wiped/it down with some hospital grade Steris Coverage Spray...3 times... it still works...and it is VERY clean!!! :D

I have also had my middle child drop our digital camera (trying to help) down the stairs in our garage sending the CF card flying into a pile of fine sawdust I was sweeping up from our new laminate flooring, we had just put in. Luckily a few blasts from a compressor and canned air cleaned out all those little holes... another successfull save :)

bbarker
03-18-2004, 08:22 PM
My Symbol Wireless Networker 802.11b CF card went through the wash. After it dried I tried it but it didn't work. I set it aside and a few days later tried it again. It worked!

I don't learn, though. It went through the wash again. Same result. The second time was more than a year ago and it's still working without a glitch.

(By the way, the quality of comments that followed the original horror story at http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003May/pda20030501018559.htm makes me grateful I spend my time in the Thoughts communities.)

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
My neighbor actually told me that she dropped her SD card a few days ago. Unfortunately it landed in some wet mud (metal contact side down). So she fished it out, brought it home and washed it in the sink. When the mud wouldn't come off, she used some soap; then finally dried it. Apparently it still works... :)

Suhit

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 12:26 AM
These things seem really resilient to physical damage! :D

(Apart from when they randomly die for no apparent reason). :roll:

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 03:44 AM
(By the way, the quality of comments that followed the original horror story at http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003May/pda20030501018559.htm makes me grateful I spend my time in the Thoughts communities.)
Indeed, I noticed the same thing. Woohoo for great mods. In fact, Kati actually submitted this story. ;)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
03-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Quality Mods - :way to go: don't go to a forum without them!

igroknful
03-24-2004, 10:15 PM
My 5 month old 50lb puppy got a hold of my new Lexar 40x 256Mb CF card when I opening the package. I struggled for what seemed like an hour to get it from her before she started chewing on it. She won, those sharp puppy teeth ruined the card. I bought a Lexar 12x CF and this time I made sure I opened the package over the table. :oops: