View Full Version : Shuttle Will Begin Selling Full-Featured PCs - Including Gaming and Media Centre Alternatives

Jason Dunn
03-17-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115233,tk,dn031704X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115233,tk,dn031704X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Starting in April, Shuttle will offer a range of systems designed for home and business users in the U.S. The PCs, which can be purchased online, will be priced from $799 to $2999, based on the specific configuration, the company says. Among the systems that users will be able to choose from, Shuttle plans to offer a high-end system aimed at gamers that incorporates a 3.4-GHz Pentium 4 processor, a 200GB hard drive, and 1GB of RAM. Pricing for the system was not disclosed.<br /><br />Shuttle will also sell fully configured versions of its XPC Zen PC, which is making its debut at the Cebit exhibition in Hanover, Germany this week. Measuring 6.7 inches by 7.5 inches by 28 11.0 inches, the XPC Zen is slightly smaller than other XPC models, which measure 7.1 inches by 7.9 inches by 11.8 inches. The fully figured XPC Zen, which can be configured with an internal TV tuner, will be targeted at home users looking for a media center PC, the company says."<br /><br />I'm a Shuttle fan, so I'm totally biased here, but this is cool news. I have to say though that I probably wouldn't go this route myself, unless they offer a wide assortment of parts - I like hand-picking the parts that go into my Shuttle.

Gordo
03-18-2004, 10:30 PM
How did the building of your Shuttle go?

I paid the shop $30 CDN to assemble mine. When I opened it up on the weekend, it didn't have a power cable. Did yours come with a power cable?

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
How did the building of your Shuttle go? I paid the shop $30 CDN to assemble mine. When I opened it up on the weekend, it didn't have a power cable. Did yours come with a power cable?

Yes, mine came with all the right parts (from what I can tell). I haven't actually had time to put it all together yet - that will happen this Saturday. I hope. :-)

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Jason, since you have a Shuttle, do you find that it runs hot? It has a really small form factor and was thinking of buying one myself but am afraid that if the cooling is not good then the cards inside could potentially fry (especially if I decided to overclock).

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Jason, since you have a Shuttle, do you find that it runs hot? It has a really small form factor and was thinking of buying one myself but am afraid that if the cooling is not good then the cards inside could potentially fry (especially if I decided to overclock).

Well, to be honest, I don't run any sort of temperature monitoring - I used to when I was into overclocking, but lately I care more about stability than eeking out an extra 50 mhz. ;-) I run a Radeon 9600 with passive cooling and it doesn't seem to run hot - the case isn't even warm right now.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Well, to be honest, I don't run any sort of temperature monitoring - I used to when I was into overclocking, but lately I care more about stability than eeking out an extra 50 mhz. ;-) I run a Radeon 9600 with passive cooling and it doesn't seem to run hot - the case isn't even warm right now.
Hmm, interesting. The HardOCP review (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTYyLDE=) doesn't complain about it either so I guess it must be ok. I think I might have to get one now. :)

Suhit