View Full Version : Anyone using Philips Streamium?

spg
03-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Philips has what looks to be some pretty cool audio hardware that can play internet radio and Mp3s off of your PC -

http://www.streamium.com

I've got a MC-i250 wireless mini-system on order with Amazon, supposed to ship next week (been backordered for a couple weeks), so once I get it I will post what I think of the system. Anyone else here using any Streamium hardware?

spg
03-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Well, I got my system this morning and excitedly opened it up to get it "quickly" setup. After a while I realized the quickly idea wasn't going to work. First of, this is a really cool unit. Unfortunetly, setup was a little difficult. I had to assign the wifi connection an IP address (couldn't seem to get one from DHCP), and then had a whale of a time getting the MusicMatch software to communicate from my tablet to the stereo. After several hours of tinkering, I've finally gotten everything working, although I'm still on a static IP. The communication problem turned out to be stupidity on my part, combined with Windows XP SP2 beta. With all the new security features in the beta, I never did quite disable the right one to let the stereo communicate. Took me a while to figure it out, but after getting it working on my XP Pro desktop I was able to get it working from the Tablet PC.

I must say though, despite the problems, I really like this unit so far. The bass is surprisingly good, and the internet radio and Mp3 playback features are just plain cool. I'm not sure I would reccomend this unit to just anyone yet, the setup needs to be alot easier before the average person would be able to get it to work I think.

I must admit the "cool" factor is my big draw to this unit, and I was very pleased when I heard a song on internet radio earlier and was able to quickly press "Info" on the remote and a few seconds later got an e-mail in my inbox with the CD information. 8) And the nifty thing is, all this can work without a computer, just as a standalone stereo. Of course you wouldn't get the same Mp3 features that way, but the internet radio and everything else would still work great.

Overall, I'd give this thing a 1 day rating of 3 out of 5, although it is alot higher on the "cool" scale. I'm thinking about getting a subwoofer to go with it, although I wasn't expecting the bass to be as good as it is. Anyway... just some cool digital audio hardware here for you.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 03:12 AM
That is a little weird that it won't pick up a dynamic address. I wonder how that will affect people that don't have the ability to give out static addresses, i.e. don't have broadband routers or some such.

Suhit

spg
03-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why it wouldn't work. The router could see the stereo (looked it up by MAC address), but the stereo never acknowledged that it had an IP.

Suhit Gupta
03-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Yeah, and the FAQ or support pages have no information on this subject AFAICT. Perhaps it is time to call them.

Suhit