View Full Version : Digital Gadget's - Have they ever gotten you in trouble

the_rapture
03-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a story to tell.....

I commute over 80 miles one way M-F or when called in, so I enjoy taking my Canon A20 with me to take photos on the way of anything that looks interesting, sunsets, heavy traffic or cool cars/trucks. Well on this one day there appeared to be a traffic wreck up head and traffic was backed up, so I pulled my camera out to get ready to take the photo. It didn't turn out since I took it out the truck window moving. But someone at the scene took my plate number and turned it to the Homeland Security and the FBI and they came knocking on my door to find out why I was taking photos.

Do you have a story to tell?

I just took a recent trip and put some of the photos on my slides on my site.

Neil Enns
03-13-2004, 05:58 PM
It's never happened to me, but I've heard of several horror stories. You might find this handbook of Photographer's Rights, er, handy:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Neil

Gary Sheynkman
03-13-2004, 06:05 PM
In highschool, just about anything that works on batteries can get you in trouble :lol: :lol:

Suhit Gupta
03-13-2004, 07:39 PM
But someone at the scene took my plate number and turned it to the Homeland Security and the FBI and they came knocking on my door to find out why I was taking photos.
Huh? I did not know it was illegal to take photos. I mean I can sort of see why someone would report you for driving while taking a photo because it might distract you from driving (something similar to using a cell phone while driving). Or even if you were taking lewd photos or some such. But to Homeland Security? Just for taking a random photo? Odd!

Suhit

the_rapture
03-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the guide!

It falls under the suspicious activity.

David Prahl
04-04-2004, 05:22 AM
In highschool, just about anything that works on batteries can get you in trouble :lol: :lol:

You're preaching to the choir! :lol: My Palms, Pocket PCs, and cameras are not appreciated in some school environments, but then again a pencil is classified a weapon, too (if used as one, according to the handbook).

bjornkeizers
04-17-2004, 11:34 PM
I've been herassed a few times or told that I couldn't take pictures - usually by rentacops or somesuch. Give people a badge and they think they can push you around... If you're polite and you know your rights and limits, you don't have anything to worry about.

Usually these people back down in the face of reason; they know they're on a power trip and can't do **** to you. When people get really annoying, I just stare them down (it helps that I have the general build and demeanor of a bear :D )

Jon Westfall
04-18-2004, 11:36 PM

You're preaching to the choir! :lol: My Palms, Pocket PCs, and cameras are not appreciated in some school environments, but then again a pencil is classified a weapon, too (if used as one, according to the handbook).

While in highschool, I always had the toys. Luckily, I had some powerful friends in the administration since I worked at the school doing A/V work (ha - the benefits of being a geek). In retrospect, I'm suprised my pager (handed down to me from my dad) didn't get me suspected of drug activity, and that my laptop (which I took with me occassionally) didn't get lifted (Maybe it had something to do with the fact I kept it in the head librarians private office).

It is insane though - high schools in the US are more like prisons than anything, and in my opinion, it can actually lead to school violence. Why do you think real prisons are violent? Keep people contained, restrict them in the name of safety, and see what happens.