View Full Version : 35mm Scanners and ICE

bbarker
03-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Would like to see comparison reviews of 35mm film scanners for those of us who want to go totally digital.

Hmm - that's a tough one! I don't think anyone on our editorial or review team shoots 35mm anymore...but I'll see what I can do. :wink:
I would love such reviews or a comparison. The main brands I'm aware of are Nikon, Minolta and Polaroid. Questions: which is best? And which is the best value?

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Mods, spin off my messages if it gets OT.

Don't forget Canon scanners. It's hard to say who's the best, though I have a soft spot for the Nikon and Minolta scanners. Minolta currently has one of the best value scanners in the Dimage Dual Scan IV. Think it should be under US$300 and uses USB 2.0, and scans at about 3000dpi (10 megapixel images). The catch is that there's no ICE, and the software that does it isn't as good, so you might have to spend some time touching up the scanned image.

bbarker
03-12-2004, 11:59 PM
I think ICE is important. (Yes, we are getting OT.)

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Ah.. ICE adds price. Cheapest ICE scanner I know of is an Acer/Benq. Scanwit 2740s, I think. US$400 or so. After that I think you're looking at the Nikon Coolscan V. You might get a CS IV cheap now, but USB 1.1 is damn slow for transferring images.