View Full Version : Windows XP Service Pack 2 Beta Review

Jason Dunn
03-13-2004, 01:08 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview2.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview2.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"In January, Microsoft issued a semi-public beta of its upcoming Service Pack 2 (SP2) release for Windows XP, a major upgrade for XP users that's focused largely on security. The Windows XP SP2 Beta isn't feature-complete--Microsoft tells me it's still fine-tuning the final feature set--but it does provide an interesting look at the direction the company is taking with its so-called "Springboard" security technologies, which are designed to retroactively apply recent security thinking to pre-existing products. (XP SP2 isn't the only Springboard release you can expect to see this year: Office 2003 Service Release 1, due in May, will also feature Springboard security technologies, as will Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, due in late 2004.)<br /><br />"We've got quite a bit of work to do before its end-user ready," Matt Pilla, senior product manager for the Windows group, told me during a recent visit to the Microsoft campus. "The goal here is to get security features out to customers as soon as possible, but make sure its customizable enough that it doesn't block deployments." Pilla told me that 500 or so beta testers are evaluating the SP2 Beta code, in addition to MSDN Universal members. The goal now is to get feedback on the changes. The SP2 Beta isn't writ in stone: Microsoft has already made some changes since the SP2 Beta release and will significantly change the user interface for updated features like the Windows Firewall and wireless networking between now and the final release, Pilla said.""<br /><br />This isn't directly related to digital media, but the pending release of SP2 for Windows XP is a significant event. There some cool new features and tools, and we won't have to pay for it like Mac users do. :lol:

Ed Hansberry
03-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Does anyone know what, if any, Media Center Edition fixes/enhances are in SP2? I've not seen anything on publicly available on that.

entropy1980
03-13-2004, 01:48 AM
some cool new features and tools, and we won't have to pay for it like Mac users do. :lol:
Like Viruses and buggy software!

James Fee
03-13-2004, 03:01 AM
I was going to let it go. Jason made that too easy. ;)

Jason Dunn
03-13-2004, 03:03 AM

Blah blah blah...look, I was just making a comment about how odd it is that Apple sells their service packs rather than giving them away. If I was a Mac user, I think I'd feel a little pissed at having to shell over another $100 almost every year for OS updates. Yes, I know they add new features, but they're also bug fixes.

entropy1980
03-13-2004, 03:06 AM
Blah blah blah...look, I was just making a comment about how odd it is that Apple sells their service packs rather than giving them away. If I was a Mac user, I think I'd feel a little pissed at having to shell over another $100 almost every year for OS updates. Yes, I know they add new features, but they're also bug fixes.
yeah but most of the time they aren't fixing problems as much and adding more features they have a software updater just like MS does for fixes so it's not like you have to upgrade to get the fixes but if you want new features like Epose then yes you gotta pay. besides you can't expect to get a little back for giving a little rubbing on mac users :)

Jason Dunn
03-13-2004, 03:09 AM
I was going to let it go. Jason made that too easy. ;)

&lt;groan> Come on guys, don't be so naive! You know that the only reason there aren't more viruses for the Mac is because it's simply not worth a virus-writer's time to create something that can only affect, what, 4% of the computer user public? You know full well that if the Mac had 90% market share, there would be just as many viruses for it.

I used to believe what was shovelled down my throat, that Linux was more secure than Windows, until I got on the Red Hat security bulletin for our server here - and I saw a heck of a lot of security warnings, patches, critical flaws, blah blah. It was a real eye opener!

Every OS has it's weaknesses and flaws, period. There are some things I really like about the Mac OS, and I'm happy we're covering the digital media portion of the Mac market on this site, but if you think I'm going to let you turn this into a platform flame war, guess again.

entropy1980
03-13-2004, 03:25 AM
&lt;groan> Come on guys, don't be so naive! You know that the only reason there aren't more viruses for the Mac is because it's simply not worth a virus-writer's time to create something that can only affect, what, 4% of the computer user public? You know full well that if the Mac had 90% market share, there would be just as many viruses for it.

Just one last comment wasn't trying to make and OS flame war (although you did through the first stone) but at the end of the day does it really matter that they only have 4%? If at the end of the day you don't have to worry about viruses isn't that most important? Anyway working as a Network admin on a large PC network I will be waiting for everybody else to beta test even after it's released to see what it breaks, I have no desire to roll it out considering how sweeping some the changes are until I see what it does first to everyone else... :D

Jason Dunn
03-13-2004, 04:10 AM
Ok, I made it up to you Mac guys - you now have a complete thread dedicated to telling me why I should buy a Mac. Get to it! ;-)

entropy1980
03-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Ok, I made it up to you Mac guys - you now have a complete thread dedicated to telling me why I should buy a Mac. Get to it! ;-)
Wasn't saying you should get one you just mentioned Mac users had to pay for upgrades and I was pointing out Windows users pay to in a different way ;) I always have said I think each has it's own place. I mean come on Jason you know I am an unabashed Pocket PC lover it would be a little hard for me abandon a PC and overall I like Windows XP, but I also like OS X.

James Fee
03-13-2004, 06:14 AM
&lt;snip>
Very true. There are "service packs" all the time for the Mac OS, but we pay for OS upgrades (though I'm not happy with them coming out every year).

James Fee
03-13-2004, 06:17 AM
I like being in the top 4% of all computer users. ;)

I used to believe what was shovelled down my throat, that Linux was more secure than Windows, until I got on the Red Hat security bulletin for our server here - and I saw a heck of a lot of security warnings, patches, critical flaws, blah blah. It was a real eye opener!
True all of them have holes, its the way they are patched that matters.

Every OS has it's weaknesses and flaws, period. There are some things I really like about the Mac OS, and I'm happy we're covering the digital media portion of the Mac market on this site, but if you think I'm going to let you turn this into a platform flame war, guess again.
I wouldn't go that far. I was just giving you a hard time because that is what Mac users do. We love to correct other computer users. :lol:

spg
03-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know what, if any, Media Center Edition fixes/enhances are in SP2? I've not seen anything on publicly available on that.
I'm using SP2 beta now (not on a Media Center PC though), and I haven't seen anything on any specific Media Center stuff. The biggest update will be for users of Tablet PC Edition, it includes a whole new input panel and new handwriting recognition features. I suppose Media Center will get updates as well, I just haven't seen anything.

I do like what I have seen so far in SP2. Well, except for this annoying bug that keeps poping up the wireless connection ballon every minute or so. It is beta software though, so things like that are to be expected I guess.

Suhit Gupta
03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm using SP2 beta now (not on a Media Center PC though), and I haven't seen anything on any specific Media Center stuff.
Have you noticed any performance changes on Media Center. I found Media Center to run awfully slow and was wondering if SP2 addressed that. I sincerely doubt it but worth a shot ;-).

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-13-2004, 11:55 PM
I was just giving you a hard time because that is what Mac users do. We love to correct other computer users. :lol:

Yeah, I know, which is one of the things stopping me from getting a Mac - I'm afraid I'll turn into a zealot, "correcting" othrs all the time and have everyone think I've got low self-esteem issues. ;-)