View Full Version : Wireless PC Speakers

gibb193a
03-10-2004, 02:00 AM
Is there such a thing?

I want to start retiring my "old-fashioned" audio-video equipment and slooooowly build a digital wireless sytem. So my first step is wireless stereo speakers for my laptop. I currently have a wifi access to my cable modem via a Microsoft wireless base station, which I'm very happy with.

Any suggestions?

Gary Sheynkman
03-10-2004, 02:51 AM
I can channel you audio wirelessly to a source (like a digital reciever or player) but I dont think there are just wireless speakers....and now

[audiophile rant] why would you WANT wireless speakers? Clearly a wireless digital signal will NEVER give you the sound quality that good ol' copper will...for shame [/audiophile rant]

Suhit Gupta
03-10-2004, 03:01 AM
There definitely are wireless speakers... both RCA and Jensen make them. They work over 900MHz and are rated to be reasonable, definitely not professional sounding though. I looked around for a bit but could not find any floor standing or 5.1 type speakers in this category.

Gary, why do you think the wireless signal speakers will not be good enough? If the bandwidth is high enough, and there is a good enough decoder at the speaker, I don't see why it should be a problem. :?

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-10-2004, 03:20 PM
There definitely are wireless speakers... both RCA and Jensen make them. They work over 900MHz and are rated to be reasonable, definitely not professional sounding though. I looked around for a bit but could not find any floor standing or 5.1 type speakers in this category.

Gary, why do you think the wireless signal speakers will not be good enough? If the bandwidth is high enough, and there is a good enough decoder at the speaker, I don't see why it should be a problem. :?

Suhit

Well first there comes the quation of "IF" the bandwidth will be high enough. Between rooms in the house it might be problematic. When you talk on a 900mhz phone in your house, bits get dropped, but you dont hear that ...in this cases, when bits drop the audio quality might degrade like it does with mp3. Although we cant hear some frequencies directly, they still affect the other waves around them. Just listen to the same song from one of your records and then a MP3

Suhit Gupta
03-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah, but they are 900MHz now, do you really think they are always going to stay that way? What is stopping them from going to 2.4 or even 5.8 GHz?! I have found fewer, if any, glitches with these phones while range is also greater.

And this is if there is a market, which I feel there will be given that more and more people want fewer cables running across their houses, what is preventing other technologies from being researched. :roll:

Suhit

Janak Parekh
03-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Well first there comes the quation of "IF" the bandwidth will be high enough.
What? First off, 900MHz cordless speakers/headphones are analog, so interference will appear as white noise. Second, if a digital solution were deployed, the required bandwidth for 44KHz, 16-bit, uncompressed stereo PCM audio is 176KB/s, or about 1.4mbps. Existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless a/b/g technologies can easily handle such bandwidths with zero problems whatsoever.

--janak

Gary Sheynkman
03-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Well first there comes the quation of "IF" the bandwidth will be high enough.
What? First off, 900MHz cordless speakers/headphones are analog, so interference will appear as white noise. Second, if a digital solution were deployed, the required bandwidth for 44KHz, 16-bit, uncompressed stereo PCM audio is 176KB/s, or about 1.4mbps. Existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless a/b/g technologies can easily handle such bandwidths with zero problems whatsoever.

--janak

I guess you are right about a digital solution. I was talking more about the analog method (like our phones). So in conclusion you are right when it comes down to listening on your laptop. :werenotworthy: