View Full Version : Oops! There Go MyTunes

Kent Pribbernow
03-09-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1027-5171519.html?tag=nl' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1027-5171519.html?tag=nl</a><br /><br /></div>Remember that first piece of advice we were given when learning computers for the first time? <b>Backup....Backup....Backup</b>. Bill Zeller, developer of the popular iTune file swapping plugin <b>MyTunes</b> should have heeded that warning. Due to a recent serious system crash the <i>entire</i> source code for this application was lost! Gone in the blink of an eye. Now, in order to continue development, MyTunes must be completely rewritten from the ground up, as if it never existed. And that is something Zeller says he is not willing to do. <br /><br /><i>"I was about to release the second version, when I lost everything," Zeller said. "I may put it back online, but there won't be any updates. I don't want to rewrite it."</i>

Suhit Gupta
03-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Man o' man, that is just silly. When it comes time to write my thesis, there will be about 15 (if not more), completely independent places where I will be backing up the document. I mean, there will be backups to even counter catastrophic events like nukes going off ;-).

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 08:14 PM
&lt;sigh> When willl people learn? It sucks that it happened to him, but what about human nature makes us not want to take preventative measures until AFTER something has happened?

If you don't have a scheduled, automated backup tool, go get this one: www.handybackup.com. It's my tool of choice and works like a charm, even backing up data to/from FTP sites.

OSUKid7
03-09-2004, 08:39 PM
lol...that's great...so it happens to everyone. I usually backup my outlook data files, school work, and other important data, but not nearly enough. I recently built a new computer and haven't been keeping up with backing up my data...better get on that. :oops:

sundown
03-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Doh! I had a catastrophic meltdown 10 years ago and every since I've been backing up pretty regularly. It's the main reason I bought a DVD burner since some of the websites I manage are larger than 1 GB. Gheez, even if you add a cheap second hard drive and occassionally make a drag and drop backup to it, that's better than nothing.

Doug Johnson
03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
I like FileBack PC... automatic backups whenever my files are created or changed, and keeps multiple backups of each file. Great for working with source code and other documents.

http://www.fileback-pc.com

Just be sure to check out version 4... much better than version 3.

Tim Williamson
03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Right now I just have a $20 366MHz "Server" computer set up next to my main puter, and I just use Window's built-in task scheduler to automatically run an xcopy batch file which backs up any new/updated files in my My Documents folder.

Maybe eventually I'll look into one of the commercial backup programs, but for now using this xcopy batch file works pretty well.

Gary Sheynkman
03-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Man o' man, that is just silly. When it comes time to write my thesis, there will be about 15 (if not more), completely independent places where I will be backing up the document. I mean, there will be backups to even counter catastrophic events like nukes going off ;-).

Suhit

You should also hand write your dissertation and store it in a vacuum in a bank vault....that should do it

ctmagnus
03-10-2004, 03:10 AM

Suhit

You should also hand write your dissertation and store it in a vacuum in a bank vault....that should do it

Unless the maid empties the vacuum cleaner. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Suhit Gupta
03-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Bank Vault is almost exactly what I will be using ;-)

Suhit

Jonathon Watkins
03-11-2004, 12:30 AM
:( Not good. It happens to us all - the first time anyway. :o

Now I keep my stuff on a RAID 10 drive, backed up to a second computer and DVD weekly. You just never know........

Suhit Gupta
03-11-2004, 12:48 AM
:( Not good. It happens to us all - the first time anyway. :o

Now I keep my stuff on a RAID 10 drive, backed up to a second computer and DVD weekly. You just never know........
You're then lucky to have both mirroring and striping. I had to unfortunately go for RAID 0, i.e. opting for performance over reliability. I just keep my fingers crossed at all times though ;-).

Suhit

Jonathon Watkins
03-11-2004, 01:11 AM
I bought 4x 80Gb drives just for that purpose. 8)

It's not all that great however. I do get some odd error occasionally and am thinking of splitting it up to 2x RAID 1 partitions. Hopefully it will be be more stable and flexible. When my Mb died I had to buy an identical one *quickly* to get at my data. 8O

Suhit Gupta
03-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Yes, that is one of the disadvantages of RAID I guess :-(, though the RAID controller manufacturer always claim that things should be fine even if you upgrade to a different card. But I have never found this to be the case. In fact, one of the servers I manage has a RAID5 that has 32MB RAM on the RAID controller and I have been wanting to upgrade it to 128MB. But I am so afraid to do so. I am even too 'chicken' to move it from one PCI slot to the next. :?

Suhit