View Full Version : camcorder.info Sony Camcorder Product Team Interview

Jason Dunn
03-05-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/behind-the-camcorders-sony.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/behind-the-camcorders-sony.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"<b>Camcorderinfo.com So what technical innovations have you introduced into your line this year?</b><br /><br /><b>Linda Vuolo</b>: The PC330 has been our most recent technical innovation that we've introduced into the market. So with it being the industry's 1st three Meagpixel camcorder, it's delivering the highest quality of video and still with purely using a 3 Megapixel CCD. Secondly, I would have to point to Handycam station. Handycam station is a brand new concept introduced first with the IP1, and also now available with the new PC109. It really changes the way consumers use their camcorders by leaving the Handycam station attached to their device of choice, whether it be a PC or television - in their home. The camcorder is out and available where they want to use it, and most importantly, charged and ready to go all the time. Really changing the way consumers use the camcorders is as important a technical innovation and improved specifications."<br /><br />An interesting interview that talks about the current and future direction Sony in taking in the market. Worth a read!

Philip Colmer
03-05-2004, 07:40 PM
The PC330 indeed has some very nice features :) In addition to its 3 megapixel CCD, it also supports true widescreen mode, so instead of masking the top & bottom of the image and then stretching it, the CCD is used properly to frame a 16:9 image.

The Sony website also cites PictBridge (so you can directly connect the camcorder to a printer for printing photos), direct to DVD recording, progressive recording (hmm ... could be interesting) and night framing, but no further explanation of them or the "With colour filter" tag at the top of its page.

--Philip

Crocuta
03-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I do believe Philip just gave us more information on the product line than the article did. I'm constantly amazed at just how good marketing people are at using lots of words to say very little.

The only thing that perked my ears up a bit was the comment about hard drive based camcorders. I could definitely see the time when a CF microdrive of around 80GB could be an excellent alternative to tape.

bryhawks
03-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the info, Philip, but I couldn't find any mention of true widescreen (or any widescreen, actually) on their site. Where did you get this information?

Philip Colmer
03-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info, Philip, but I couldn't find any mention of true widescreen (or any widescreen, actually) on their site. Where did you get this information?
This is the link for the product information: http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=11_61_4467. If you look down the feature list, it is the 11th entry.

--Philip