View Full Version : C|Net Reviews Gateway FMC-901X Media Center

Kent Pribbernow
03-05-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://reviews.cnet.com/Gateway_FMC_901X_Family_Room_Media_Center/4505-3118_7-30612233.html?tag=pdtl-list' target='_blank'>http://reviews.cnet.com/Gateway_FMC_901X_Family_Room_Media_Center/4505-3118_7-30612233.html?tag=pdtl-list</a><br /><br /></div>"Finally, there's a Media Center PC that fits in with your other entertainment-center components. The $1,799 Gateway FMC-901X Family Room Media Center is primed for entertainment and computer performance. You'll need to provide your own speakers and display (or purchase them separately from Gateway), but you'll likely find a port for whatever you'd like to plug into the FMC-901X. The remote control and the wireless keyboard and mouse mean that you can access digital photos, MP3s, and recorded TV shows stored on the PC without having to give up your seat on the couch."<br /><br />Personally, I'm not exactly turned on (pardon the pun) by Media Center PCs. If I want PVR functionality, why not just get a Tivo and be done with it? Am I missing something? Is there some aspect to MCPC that is just waiting to change my life and I don't realize it yet?

Ed Hansberry
03-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Personally, I'm not exactly turned on (pardon the pun) by Media Center PCs. If I want PVR functionality, why not just get a Tivo and be done with it? Am I missing something? Is there some aspect to MCPC that is just waiting to change my life and I don't realize it yet?
For just a PVR? Yeah, I'd agree with you. However, I get in one box:
*Progressive scan DVD player, which just flat rocks on a DLP
*7 slot memory card reader for my camera
*Firewire to import video from my DV Camcorder
*CD player
*All of my music on one box
*Burn TV shows/video/picture shows to DVD
*PVR - files can be transferred to other XP boxes for viewing - I've transferred tv shows to my laptop to view on the plane/hotel room.
*FM Radio
*WLAN connectivity
*All connected to a 5.1 surround sound system

Or, I could have a PVR, a DVD player, a receiver and MP3 jukebox in the den then somewhere else I'd need a PC for the pics, videos, etc. No TV shows to DVD. No previewing video on a wide screen HDTV box before burning to DVD, etc.

MCE isn't for everyone, but to say it is a fancy PVR is doing it serious injustice.

Jason Dunn
03-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I've got a ReplayTV now, and it's great for video, but MCE is starting to appeal to my desire for having all my music/photos/videos on one big box attached to my TV. That would be sweet. :-)

Kent Pribbernow
03-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I'll have to keep an open mind to this platform, I guess. Problem is, right now I'm kind of leaning towards building my own PC next time around. And from what I gather, Media Center Edition is available only as an OEM license. :cry:

ale_ers
03-05-2004, 07:45 PM
I agree with both sides of the argument. If you want a PVR, Tivo is great, and lets face it, because you don't use it for other things (as you would an MCE) it is a lot more stable.

For my purposes though, I needed a new computer that would be great for all of my digital pictures and DV movies of my daughter and family. I chose the MCE because I got all of that and more. For me it is kind of nice because I put it in our bedroom (which doesn't have any AV equipment really) and suddenly I have a home theater to die for. My next step is to run the output down to my living room and get an RF remote (any suggestions) so I can enjoy it on my Stereo also.

As Ed suggested, it does have a lot of extra features that you would pay a lot to put together. I personally love being able to record programs that I want to watch (and that my wife could care less about such as Soprano’s), burn it to DVD (not hard to do at all) then grab it on my way out the door on a sales trip.

michael
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I've got a ReplayTV now, and it's great for video, but MCE is starting to appeal to my desire for having all my music/photos/videos on one big box attached to my TV. That would be sweet. :-)

I'm a bit biased, but try it, you'll love it. I see my photos much more than I used to now and I use more music collection much more as well. I come home put some music on and set a photo slideshow while I do something else. I like it and it's a great way of showing photos to other people.

Kent Pribbernow
03-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I guess one of biggest concerns are the seeming lack of flexibility in MCE design. I use my PC as a high-end graphics workstation/Gaming PC, and frankly many of the MCEs I've looked at in the past do not measure up to that standard. For example, my next PC will almost definitely be based around 64bit processors, perhaps even a dual config. That's why I am considering building my own system next upgrade cycle (which will probably be early next year).

Any thoughts?

michael
03-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I guess one of biggest concerns are the seeming lack of flexibility in MCE design. I use my PC as a high-end graphics workstation/Gaming PC, and frankly many of the MCEs I've looked at in the past do not measure up to that standard. For example, my next PC will almost definitely be based around 64bit processors, perhaps even a dual config. That's why I am considering building my own system next upgrade cycle (which will probably be early next year).

Any thoughts?

I hear that. Personally my MCE system is just an MCE system. I have a seperate PC for everything else. My MCE machine lives by the TV, just like any other A/V component.

mcsouth
03-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, I certainly like the concept of MCE, but like others have mentioned, I want to build my own box with the components that I select, and have the option to upgrade in the future as new features (and whimsy) appear. I have also become increasingly interested in Linux, although the horror stories I've heard about program installation still have me a bit nervous.

Ultimately, the idea of a unit that does all the stuff that Ed mentioned just makes me salivate - kind of makes me feel like I'd be that much more in charge of the multimedia goings-on in my household.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the remote connection feature in XP Pro would allow you to hook up to your unit from the internet so that you could set your PVR to record your favorite show that you're going to miss since the event you're currently at is running late? I can just see it now, hooking up to my home PC with my PPCPE to set it to record some show.....

Ed Hansberry
03-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the remote connection feature in XP Pro would allow you to hook up to your unit from the internet so that you could set your PVR to record your favorite show that you're going to miss since the event you're currently at is running late? I can just see it now, hooking up to my home PC with my PPCPE to set it to record some show.....
Yes. You cannot watch video (TV, DVD, etc) via Remote Desktop but the MCE UI is available, so yeah, you can VPN or RAS into your box and schedule TV shows. :D

MCE is a superset of XP Pro so anything Pro can do, including Remote Desktop, MCE can do.

mcsouth
03-06-2004, 01:33 AM
.....can your TiVo do that? :D

Seriously, though, that is significantly cool. I will admit to being a real newbie with regards to this though - I get VPN, and I've heard of VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/), but what is RAS? :?:

Jason Dunn
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
I get VPN, and I've heard of VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/), but what is RAS? :?:

That's Enterprise-speak for Remote Desktop (RDP). Here's an article that will explain what's possible:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Aug/fea20030828021469.htm

Ed Hansberry
03-06-2004, 02:05 AM
VPN is Virtual Private Network
RAS is Remote Access Services, and is often used by old farts that remember when RAS exclusively meant modems. ;-) Today, RAS is any type of remote connection.

You don't need VNC. XP MCE has Remote Desktop built in.

James Fee
03-07-2004, 07:19 AM
&lt;snip>
What MCE do you have Ed? I've been thinking about getting one, but with Gateway on its last legs, I don't want to even think about buying one. I assume HP and others have them, but I'm in a "Dell World" at work so I miss some of these more interesting applications of Windows. I have a TiVo and sure as heck wouldn't get rid of it. But there is all this digital stuff on my PCs and DirecTV TiVos don't have the HMO (http://www.tivo.com/4.9.asp). :evil:

Ed Hansberry
03-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I have the FMC-901x. I too am a dell man. The FMC is my first non-dell since 1996. I didn't want a "PC" in the den though and Dell's MCE's look best in a closet, not under your TV. :-(