View Full Version : SVCD Playback - Does It Really Matter?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I set up a combo VCD/DVD player to replace several other units I have (more on that later), and before I decide if I want to keep it, I wanted to make sure it worked with all the formats of CD and DVD that I might burn. It said it supported DVD-R and DVD+R, but no mention of VCD or SVCD. Most recently DVD players support VCD, but SVCD is always a bit of a wild card.<br /><br />When I started testing, it played DVD-R ok, and VCDs were no problem. But when I tried an SVCD (burned with Nero 6), the DVD player refused to play it. So now I'm trying to decide how important that lack of ability is - will not being able to play SVCDs bother me? Is it worth packing up the player and returning it? I prefer SVCDs over VCD because of the higher bit rate, but with only being able to fit 20 minutes onto a CD, they're not terribly useful. Where do you stand on this?<br /><br />Yes, I know our voting button is missing in the poll - just click on the X and your vote will be cast. ;-)

marlof
03-04-2004, 08:15 PM
The reason why I'd like SVCD is for shorter movies of particular events, that don't necessarily take much more than one CD allows. The difference in image quality between SVCD and VCD for those kind of movies is reason enough in those cases.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 09:29 PM
The reason why I'd like SVCD is for shorter movies of particular events, that don't necessarily take much more than one CD allows. The difference in image quality between SVCD and VCD for those kind of movies is reason enough in those cases.

Oh SURE, be the voice of reason why don't ya? ;-) I know, there's something that bothers me about having a brand new DVD player that doesn't support everything out there. It's just wrong...but then I keep coming back to how often I really use SVCDs... :?

Gary Sheynkman
03-05-2004, 03:43 AM
...but then I keep coming back to how often I really use SVCDs... :?

Exactly Jason, how many time have you used SVCDs??? I cant think of 1 instance for myself :lol:

tritoch
03-08-2004, 11:51 AM
I don't know about you guys, apparently I'm the only one still obtaining materials in illegitimate ways... but I need SVCD support for:

The.Lord.Of.The.Rings.The.Return.Of.The.King.REPACK.DVDRiP.SVCD-Centropy

Jason Dunn
03-08-2004, 06:23 PM
I don't know about you guys, apparently I'm the only one still obtaining materials in illegitimate ways... but I need SVCD support for:

Myself, I prefer to buy the movies that I like and thus support the creation of more movies. ;-)

Jason Dunn
03-08-2004, 06:31 PM
FYI - I decided that I wanted SVCD playback after all, just in case I needed it some day. ;-) I was at a Best Buy in Edmonton, and picked up the only one there that had SVCD support on the box: a rather large Polaroid combo player. I didn't even know Polaroid made DVD players - they must be trying to transition their brand into something that actually makes money for them. :lol:

James Fee
03-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I didn't even know Polaroid made DVD players - they must be trying to transition their brand into something that actually makes money for them. :lol:
Close, they sold the rights to the name to a company called Petters Group. Petters is a holding company that owns among others things Fingerhut. Polaroid still just makes film and camera related items, but since they are hurting for cash, they have licensed their name off.

James Fee
03-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Well here you go. Found a press release...

http://www.polaroidelectronics.com/pages/pressReleases/general/pr_1.asp

Russell
03-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Yes, I know our voting button is missing in the poll - just click on the X and your vote will be cast. ;-)

Uh... click on what X?

Jason Dunn
03-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Uh... click on what X?

It's fixed now, but it was broken when I first did the post. You've got to visit more often Russell. ;-)