View Full Version : Yahoo News: "PC Makers Try Again with TV Computers"

Jason Dunn
03-03-2004, 10:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1042-5168666.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1042-5168666.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Despite the best marketing efforts of big technology companies, personal computers have never felt much at home in the living room. But a new PC makeover by the likes of Intel and Gateway could soon give the home computer a central role in the way consumers watch television and listen to music. <br /><br />The device, which Intel calls the Entertainment PC, is designed to connect directly to the television, and will look more like a souped-up DVD player than a personal computer. Entertainment PCs could be on the shelves as early as the second half of this year, starting at $799. Controlled with a remote, the Entertainment PC can flip through and record television channels, play music and movies, and even connect to the Internet to download shows and songs not available from cable or satellite TV operators."<br /><br />I was doing the home-brewed media PC in 2000, when I hooked up a computer with a DVD-ROM and ATI All in Wonder card to a 51" Hitachi TV. I used an IR keyboard with a build-in pointing device, and had it hard-wired with Ethernet for LAN access. How well did it work? Well, it made me feel like a super geek, but the truth is it was noisy, awkward, slow, and generally more trouble than it was worth. It's nice to see that we're seeing some evolution into making this solution work better.<br /><br />Any other DIY media computer geeks out there? What have your experiences been, and what sorts of hardware/software solutions have you found to work the best?

encece
03-04-2004, 01:58 AM
I would love to have a pc hooked up to my TV to use as a DVD, CD, MP3 Player, DVR, and PC using a wireless keyboard, mouse and remote. The best resolution I could ever get was 800 x 600...and that was really blurry.

Anyone know any better way to get at least 1024 x 768 on a regular TV? (27" Toshiba) or do I need a better TV?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 04:35 AM
I would love to have a pc hooked up to my TV to use as a DVD, CD, MP3 Player, DVR, and PC using a wireless keyboard, mouse and remote. The best resolution I could ever get was 800 x 600...and that was really blurry. Anyone know any better way to get at lease 1024 x 768 on a regular TV? (27" Toshiba) or do I need a better TV?

AFAIK, you'd need to get a DLP or HDTV - something with a higher native resolution. The bigger problem is software with a user interface that is designed for a TV - sometimes called a "ten foot interface".

encece
03-04-2004, 05:37 AM
I've also seen "Monitor" TVs in the past. gateway used to have a few. 27" Monitors used to cost $2000. Even if the price went down it would be better to just upgrade to an LCD or Plasma HDTV.

Speaking of which....are you going to include HDTVs on the site as well? I'll take a 42-46" flastscreen as my contest prize! :D

Philip Colmer
03-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Anyone know any better way to get at least 1024 x 768 on a regular TV? (27" Toshiba) or do I need a better TV?
TV resolution isn't that high. If you look at DV resolution, it is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL.

On the few occasions that I've connected the TV output from my laptop to a TV, the laptop has to be configured for a much lower resolution that 1024x768. I can't remember what it did manage, but it was pretty close to the DV figures I've quoted above.

--Philip

Suhit Gupta
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I've also seen "Monitor" TVs in the past. gateway used to have a few. 27" Monitors used to cost $2000. Even if the price went down it would be better to just upgrade to an LCD or Plasma HDTV.
Panasonic and Sony used to do this too. I can't remember model numbers now. And yeah, costs were not small.
Speaking of which....are you going to include HDTVs on the site as well? I'll take a 42-46" flastscreen as my contest prize! :D
Haha, nice try. I think everyone would be in line for those :D.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 09:30 PM
On the few occasions that I've connected the TV output from my laptop to a TV, the laptop has to be configured for a much lower resolution that 1024x768. I can't remember what it did manage, but it was pretty close to the DV figures I've quoted above.

Most TVs crap out at 800 x 600.