View Full Version : I need a photo printer, what do you suggest?

igroknful
03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
I have a Canon Poweshot S400 and a Sony Cybershot DSC F707. I've been using my HP 932 printer and the photos are ok but it's extremely slow. For special photos or large formats I use a photo shop. I want to buy a Photo printer. So far, I looked at the Epson 2200, RX500, R300M and Canon i860, i900, i960, i9100 and the HP 7750, 7960. All I've done is confuse myself. I just want the best printer for my money. :?

Jason Dunn
03-03-2004, 05:20 PM
The truth is, most printers today output excellent quality - so that's not a real issue. Instead, issues like speed and the type of ink cartridges play more of a role. Myself, I chose a Canon i950D. The current version of this printer is the i960:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9388&item=9443&section=10214

I was an Epson fan for a long time, but once I started doing some research, I really like what Canon had to offer. The i950 I have is very, very fast. And the print quality is very high - prints look amazing, almost indistinguishable from a print I did from Costco. I also like the individual ink cartridges.

So if you're looking for a recommendation, go for a Canon. :way to go:

James Fee
03-03-2004, 05:35 PM
The truth is, most printers today output excellent quality - so that's not a real issue. Instead, issues like speed and the type of ink cartridges play more of a role. Myself, I chose a Canon i950D. The current version of this printer is the i960:
I couldn't agree more. I just moved from Epson to a i960 and the photos that come off are just amazing for a sub $200 printer. The 4x6 tray makes my life so easy because I don't have to remove the 8.5x11 to print photos. The review that made up my mind is below.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960.html

hawkeye
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I bought a i850 last August to print out pictures taken with our G3. We have been very happy with the print quality and speed. My wife does most of the printing and Canon's included software was very, very easy for her to learn.

The individual ink tanks were also a big selling point for us. I would estimate we got over 100 prints out of the tanks (mostly 4x6 with some 5x7 and 8.5x11 pictures also).

The only other thing you may want to consider is if you want to print bigger than 8.5x11 than consider the i9900 or other large format

Happy Hunting :D

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
I have seen the HP 245 in action and it is a sexy little unit. If you are looking for something small and inexpensive ($200 or less), this might be for you. The print quality is excellent, it is quite fast and it has slots for almost all modern memory (i.e. CF I/II, SD, xD, MS, etc.)

Suhit

igroknful
03-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the i960. :D

Rhonda

Macguy59
03-06-2004, 04:25 AM
Probably to late to chime in, but I've been using the Epson Stylus Photo 925 and the output quality is very good. Canon printers are faster but I have always found the contrast to be weak compared to the Epson and HP photo printers. Purely subjective though. Good luck with whatever you chose.

James Fee
03-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Probably to late to chime in, but I've been using the Epson Stylus Photo 925 and the output quality is very good. Canon printers are faster but I have always found the contrast to be weak compared to the Epson and HP photo printers. Purely subjective though. Good luck with whatever you chose.
I used to be an Epson man, until I saw the i960 in action. :D

Doesn't mean I wouldn't give my left arm for an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. :rock on dude!:

Gary Sheynkman
03-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Ill go against the grain here. At a quarter a print online photo printing will cost you less and a nice compact/fast inkjet or laser will prove to be better for documents and such :wink:

Macguy59
03-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Ill go against the grain here. At a quarter a print online photo printing will cost you less and a nice compact/fast inkjet or laser will prove to be better for documents and such :wink:

And I can buy a 35mm color camera for $35 rather then paying $350 for the digital camera I have. For me it's about convenience and frankly what I print myself is usually as good or better then when I let someone else print them.

igroknful
03-06-2004, 09:16 AM
At a quarter a print I'll stick with the photo printer but thanks for your input.

Rhonda

Macguy59
03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
At a quarter a print I'll stick with the photo printer but thanks for your input.

Rhonda

Have you found a way for printing them cheaper then that? By my calculations , it's costing me about 54 cents per 4x6 when you factor in the cost of the ink and glossy photo paper.

Gary Sheynkman
03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
And I can buy a 35mm color camera for $35 rather then paying $350 for the digital camera I have. For me it's about convenience and frankly what I print myself is usually as good or better then when I let someone else print them.

Well I guess thats why we have different services. I dont have the ability to fine tune everything. I know that I can just drop my Pshoped images on a disk and have them printed in the walgreens across the street or just online. I went through way too many inkjet cartriges trying to get good prints at home from my deskjet 5550

Macguy59
03-06-2004, 06:56 PM

Well I guess thats why we have different services. I dont have the ability to fine tune everything. I know that I can just drop my Pshoped images on a disk and have them printed in the walgreens across the street or just online. I went through way too many inkjet cartriges trying to get good prints at home from my deskjet 5550

True enough. Having a good quality photo printer makes a difference

Bob12
03-06-2004, 06:58 PM
I use an HP Photosmart 7550 InkJet printer and Kodak High Gloss 59lb Premium Photo Paper. I buy the paper at Sam's Club for about $22 USD for 75 sheets.

Suhit Gupta
03-07-2004, 01:25 AM
I use an HP Photosmart 7550 InkJet printer and Kodak High Gloss 59lb Premium Photo Paper. I buy the paper at Sam's Club for about $22 USD for 75 sheets.
That's interesting that you use Sam's. Perhaps I should try that too. In the past I have bought paper from HP directly and it has been SO expensive. How's the paper quality though? i.e. is it workth the money?

Suhit

James Fee
03-07-2004, 03:10 AM
I hate the Kodak inkjet photo paper. It just doesn't look as good as Epson or Canon paper. Its cheaper, I'll give it that. :roll:

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 03:16 AM
I hate the Kodak inkjet photo paper. It just doesn't look as good as Epson or Canon paper. Its cheaper, I'll give it that. :roll:

Not so sure about that. Best Buy is selling a pack of Epson 100ct 4x6 glossy photo boderless right now for $14.95

James Fee
03-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Fair enough, I don't really follow Kodak paper anymore since I avoid it.

I've actually been buying paper from Red River Paper (http://www.redriverpaper.com/). The quality of the paper is as good as any I've seen and the price is great.

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Fair enough, I don't really follow Kodak paper anymore since I avoid it.

I've actually been buying paper from Red River Paper (http://www.redriverpaper.com/). The quality of the paper is as good as any I've seen and the price is great.

Hmmmm $20.60 for 100ct photo satin (66lb) does sound sweet. That Epson sale I mentioned is only for 63lb glossy.

James Fee
03-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Red River Paper has some great samples you can buy to test it out. Thats what I did first to compare with the Epson/Canon I was using. Took about 1 print to see how good the paper actually is.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/samples.htm

Bob12
03-07-2004, 04:49 AM
I've been happy with this particular Kodak paper. Sadly, around here most places sell photo paper for full retail (expensive.) The price I mentioned was for 8.5x11 inch sheets.

James Fee
03-07-2004, 06:16 AM
I've been happy with this particular Kodak paper.
Thats rule #1. Go with what works. :D

Neil Enns
03-07-2004, 07:20 AM
I don't even bother with printing pictures at home anymore. My local Costco has a fully-profiled Noritsu printer and will do prints up to 12x18 in stunning quality.

Oh, and the price can't be beat: 12x18 for $2.99 a print.

I have three 12x18s on my wall at work and no one can believe they were printed at Costco. If you print a lot, the membership is totally worth it. If you shop there a lot anyway, the prints are a fantastic value add :)

Neil

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Oh, and the price can't be beat: 12x18 for $2.99 a print.

FWAH, that's a great price! At these prices I'd print my photos more often!

James Fee
03-07-2004, 03:43 PM
FWAH, that's a great price! At these prices I'd print my photos more often!
Still spending a saturday with 100,000 of my close friends at Costco is enough to make a man go crazy. :silly:

Now only if Home Depot offered photo finishing... :lol:

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 03:56 PM
No Costco's in my neck of the woods. Just Walmart, Meijers and various drug stores. :(

James Fee
03-07-2004, 04:30 PM
No Costco's in my neck of the woods. Just Walmart, Meijers and various drug stores. :(
I think Walmart does digital prints. I'd assume not as well as some others, but I think I read somewhere they do it.

Walgreen's, CVS and others also do it.

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I think Walmart does digital prints. I'd assume not as well as some others, but I think I read somewhere they do it.

Walgreen's, CVS and others also do it.

Yeah I know. As I mentioned above my own prints usually look better (though more expensive) then those from either Walmart or Meijers.

Neil Enns
03-08-2004, 07:00 AM
If you have a Sam's Club nearby they apparently have the Noritsus as well, although I've heard on dpreview.com that the Costco prints are better quality.

Regarding the 100,000 people, the best time to go is 1/2 hour before close. The Costco will be devoid of people and you can run gleefully between the aisles. :)

If you need profiles, go to www.drycreek.com.

Neil

ironguy
12-27-2004, 06:59 PM
We've been buying the Epson Glossy Photo Paper at Costco. 120 8.5x11 sheets for about $19. I've never seen a better deal. Now I have to get rid of my Epson piece of junk printer. OK, it's not a photo printer, it's a C80, but does OK with photos but it's been nothing but trouble since day one. Originally, it made horrible noises, an extremely noisy paper carriage. Epson replaced it. Still made a racket. Next, paper jammed in it and the black ink continued to spew. Literally, puddles of ink were in the printer.

I'm now glad I read this thread. I like the Canon and HP comments. I thought the HP cartridges were very expensive compared to others. Can anyone comment on prices of cartridges and duration of use or page count?

Macguy59
12-27-2004, 07:09 PM
I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo 925. It makes outstanding looking prints but is on the slow side. Lately I've been thinking that the cost of printing my own photo's is surpassing the convenience that it affords me.

PeterB666
01-01-2005, 11:15 PM
8O But then not everything is about cost.

Print to my printer, 1 minute. Send to online photo printing. 3 or more days including postage.

Don't like one of the prints and want to crop it, remove red-eye, lighten an area, say 5 minutes (including the first print). With online, nothing within a week, including mail for two lots of photo.

I don't think so.

I print to a cheap multifuntion printer that gives great photo output with standard inks. I get better colour reproduction than I could ever hope for from one of those digital prints for a quarter outfits.

jeansonline
02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I chose a Canon i950D. The current version of this printer is the i960: Really it is very useful for me.