View Full Version : Editing Analog video

backpackerx
03-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Before I retire it I want to pull some video off my Hi-8 camera for some fairly simplistic editing, mainly just shortening some scenes and transitons and titles. I know I need more than softare for this but I'm not sure what hardware or connectors I need. I have a Sony TRV-68.

Also, how does analog editing work on the computer? Do you load the entire clip/video in and then edit from there or what? This shouldn't be an issue soon as I'm hoping to move to miniDV.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 04:41 AM
I don't believe the TRV-68 has Firewire or S-Video, I think it only has RCA outputs. So you need a video capture card that will take that as input. You don't have to worry about your capture card (unless you really want to) having inputs for sound, as you can put the sound RCA cords into your sound card. (There are capture cards that will do both, but are more expensive).

Anyways, you will also need to plug your sound outputs into the microphone (or the dedicated input) jack of your sound card. If your sound card does not take RCA input then you can just buy one of those cables from Radioshack that converts RCA to 1/8th inch jack.

And that should be it. Start you capture software and go crazy. Most capture software allows you to choose the amount you want to keep. And then, even if you have mutiple clips, you can merge or splice.

Hope this helps
Suhit

backpackerx
03-03-2004, 05:26 AM
It does also have S-video out so I guess that's what I'd look for.

Is this why most analog capture software only seems limited to low resolutions like 240x320 or 480x640? Is it because the cards can't capture the whole resolution live as the camera is outputing it at playback speed? Am I understanding this right?
Thanks.

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 06:03 AM
You might want to take a look at those editing suits you see at your electronics store. They offer a host of analog connections as well as software to get it all accomplished

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
It does also have S-video out so I guess that's what I'd look for.
Oh, if that is the case then just look to see if your video card has an S-Video input.
Is this why most analog capture software only seems limited to low resolutions like 240x320 or 480x640? Is it because the cards can't capture the whole resolution live as the camera is outputing it at playback speed? Am I understanding this right?
Thanks.
I don't think I quite understand your question. As far as I know, if you are capturing over S-video, you should be able to capture as high as 800x600. But it is possible that either your card is throttling this down, or your video capture card is incapable of handling higher resolutions.

Suhit

backpackerx
03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Ok, thanks for all the info. I'll do some more research to narrow it down.