View Full Version : Canon Powershot S1 IS: An In-Depth Review

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml</a><br /><br /></div>"At first glance, the PowerShot S1 IS ($499) may look like just another ultra zoom camera, but it's more than that. First, it's Canon's first ultra zoom camera since the Pro90 IS. Along those lines, it's also their first camera (since the Pro90) with a stabilized lens. This feature alone makes it one of only a handful of cameras with image stabilization."<br /><br />Additionally, with 10x zoom, excellent movie mode, swivel LCD display and full manual controls, this would make for a good sub-$500 camera. I had only read about this camera briefly prior to this review, but now it certainly looks like a good choice. Has anyone tried it?

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Honestly, I dont believe in convergence. Samsung's DUO was a disaster. Good camcorder with a berely OK camera in a bulky design. Video cpability should never be a consideration when buying a camera to take PICTURES [/rant] :lol:

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-03-2004, 03:05 AM
For once, Canon is slow.. the 8700, the D70, the Dimage A2, are all in the shops, but the Pro1 and S1 IS aren't. =P

Depending on the final price, it'll be either a good camera or a really hot selling one. We shall see.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 03:57 AM
If you are in NYC, both the Pro1 and the S1 are rumoured to be in B&H. I am in Seattle right now so I can't verify this but will do so at the end of the week. The Pro1 is beginning to appear in online stores though I am not seeing the S1 anywhere. Of course, there are tons of people doing pre-orders :).

Suhit

marlof
03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm looking for the S1 to give to my girlfriend for our next trip to Africa. With these specs, this thing has "safari" written all over it. ;)

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm looking for the S1 to give to my girlfriend for our next trip to Africa. With these specs, this thing has "safari" written all over it. ;)

Indeed....10x zoom? Glorious! :D