View Full Version : Prediction For The Hits Of '04

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-home01.html' target='_blank'>http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-home01.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Last year was the year of the camera phone, digital music players (especially Apple's iPod) and satellite radio. That's three for '03. We're expecting four hits in '04."<br /><br />They predict that there will be four hits this year and hypothesize on what they will be. I certainly hope that the list will be longer than that. Perhaps I am hoping for 2020 to arrive sooner than expected. ;-)

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 11:24 PM
As cool as camera phones are, I dont think they were THAT great. I think this year's phone (that provided better connectivity with PCs as well as other phones) will prove to be the camera phone of last year.

Russell
03-03-2004, 12:05 AM
I think they hit it right on the nose. The best part about it all is that most of what he is predicting will be big in 2004 will likely be discussed here at DMT.

personal is the key word here folks. Personal media centers, personal video recorders, home (which is person) media centers and wide screen hi-def TVs.

I think with the advent of personal media centers, the looming question of "Is Apple going to do a video iPod?" is only going to get bigger. Plus, with the way many of the personal media centers are set up, people will be able to tap them into their TivO or (PVR) and then do some more intense things on their PC with video editing, their pictures, music, etc... And the more companies that come out with this kind of stuff, the better. I think next year's CES is going to be awesome (as was this year's) because a lot of the initial kinks will be worked out.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:50 AM
One thing they seem to miss is photo printers.

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Why people like to watch movies on a 4" screen, I'll never understand..

James Fee
03-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Why people like to watch movies on a 4" screen, I'll never understand..
I'm glad someone else feels that way. Everytime I bring it up over at Aximsite, I get flamed. :snipersmile:

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 01:12 AM
One word - portability

Suhit

James Fee
03-03-2004, 01:20 AM
One word - portability

Suhit
Two words - MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-03-2004, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure where portability comes into play here. Are our lives so busy we can't afford the time to sit down in front of a nice TV or cinema screen and watch the darn movie as it should be?

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 01:22 AM
:lol: But seriously, if you would rather lug around a larger screen then why not just use a laptop instead?

Suhit

James Fee
03-03-2004, 01:26 AM
:lol: But seriously, if you would rather lug around a larger screen then why not just use a laptop instead?

Suhit

I do, my big ass 15" tank of a Dell Precision M50. Its so big/heavy I have to use a backpack for fear of tearing off my arm. :shocked!:

If I could convince IT to get me a new laptop, I'd settle for a 12" since I have a dock at work with a 19" LCD, the 15" or 17" laptops are just too much extra for what I need.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 02:03 AM
So when you are carrying your tank on your back, don't you ever hope for a small PVP? :)

You know what, I don't much like the 4" displays of the PVPs either, it is just that I can see why people would rather carry those than lugging a laptop.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 02:50 AM
I think convergence is not at its peak yet. The 10 inch portable DVD players are still the best option for viewing movies on the go w/o the bulk of the lap top

James Fee
03-03-2004, 03:59 AM
I would agree except I can't go anywhere without my laptop. Thats why I want a 12" subnotebook.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 04:03 AM
My only problem with the 12" sub-notebooks is the fact that the keyboard is small. I must have these enormous mutated fingers or something ;-), but everytime I type on a sub-notebook's keyboard, I invariably hit mutiple keys per strike of the keyboard. Very annoying...

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-03-2004, 04:34 AM
Try an IBM X-series notebook? Small, with great keys.

James Fee
03-03-2004, 04:36 AM
My only problem with the 12" sub-notebooks is the fact that the keyboard is small. I must have these enormous mutated fingers or something ;-), but everytime I type on a sub-notebook's keyboard, I invariably hit mutiple keys per strike of the keyboard. Very annoying...

Suhit
Oh I know the feeling, I have huge hands too. I would augment it with a dock so when I'm in the office I can use a regular keyboard and monitor. The seats in airplanes these days are so hard to use a 15" or greater notebook that most of the time while on a plane I have the laptop in my lap. Any you know what can happen (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28245.html) with a Dell in you lap! 8O

James Fee
03-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Try an IBM X-series notebook? Small, with great keys.I'm stuck in a Dell shop so unless I want to buy one myself (which would mean no new lense for my D100), I'm stuck with a X300 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_x300?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz).

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 04:45 AM
The seats in airplanes these days are so hard to use a 15" or greater notebook that most of the time while on a plane I have the laptop in my lap. Any you know what can happen (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28245.html) with a Dell in you lap! 8O
Dude, you are so right. I tried my IBM 600X (yes, a laptop from the dark ages) on the airplane seat tray just yesterday and I was basically encroaching on my fellow passenger's space.

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Try an IBM X-series notebook? Small, with great keys.I'm stuck in a Dell shop so unless I want to buy one myself (which would mean no new lense for my D100), I'm stuck with a X300 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_x300?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz).
I am thinking more in the lines of the Toshiba M200 Tablet PC. But I wouldn't complain at all if one of the 17" Apple Powerbooks fell into my lap. Screw my fellow airplane passengers :twisted:

Suhit

James Fee
03-03-2004, 05:23 AM
I am thinking more in the lines of the Toshiba M200 Tablet PC. But I wouldn't complain at all if one of the 17" Apple Powerbooks fell into my lap. Screw my fellow airplane passengers :twisted:

Suhit
Wider isn't bad. Its the taller/square screens that are the problem. I was on a business trip to Alaska and the guy next to me had his laptop screen crack because the person in the seat in front pushed back and his lid caught the lip that the tray slides into. Scarey stuff...

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 06:16 AM

Suhit
Wider isn't bad. Its the taller/square screens that are the problem. I was on a business trip to Alaska and the guy next to me had his laptop screen crack because the person in the seat in front pushed back and his lid caught the lip that the tray slides into. Scarey stuff...

wow how do you explain that one to your boss! :lol:

I hope tablets lift of...it is sad to see such a novel technology go down the drain with lagging sales. :(

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Wow, that is nutty 8O

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 09:42 AM
I hope tablets lift of...it is sad to see such a novel technology go down the drain with lagging sales. :(
Oh c'mon, the tablet technology isn't quite going down the drain. Almost all major laptop manufacturers are releasing Tablet PCs. In fact, most of them are releasing updated ones, after having released the first gen last year. And IBM just announced a brand new one. Finally, Microsoft should be releasing a Tablet PC 2004 update some time in Q3 this year. The only problem is that there aren't enough pieces of software that support/use the cool Tablet PC features. But, according to some MSFT folks, there has been resistance as most software makers weren't sure that the Tablet PC was going to take off at all. But now that it appears to be sticking and people seem to be interested, I think things will happen. I project that by the beginning of 2005 we will have a very good idea of where things stand with the Tablet PC. :)

Suhit

possmann
03-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Thin, light, cheap, high qaulity HD screens/monitors is my prediction

That and better integration between your stereo system AND your computer system - so you can serve up those massive WMA files sitting on your computer through that high quality stereo receiver and speaker system you have...

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Thin, light, cheap, high qaulity HD screens/monitors is my prediction
Do you think the foldable screen technology take off?

Suhit