View Full Version : Sonic MyDVD Wins "Product Of The Year" From Videomaker Magazine

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.sonic.com/pr/news/2004/march/mydvd-videomaker.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.sonic.com/pr/news/2004/march/mydvd-videomaker.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Sonic Solutions [Nasdaq: SNIC] announced today that Sonic MyDVD Studio Deluxe, the industry's leading DVD creation software, has received Videomaker Magazine's 2003 Product of the Year Award for Best Introductory DVD Authoring Software. The product is featured in the special awards section of the current "Best of the Year" issue of Videomaker magazine, the industry's leading publication for videographers and video enthusiasts.<br /><br />"In our opinion, of all the entry-level DVD creation applications that hit the market this past year, Sonic MyDVD Studio Deluxe stood out from the crowd for its usability, quality and affordability," said Stephen Muratore, Editor in Chief of Videomaker Magazine. "With features and functionality targeted to the needs of beginning and intermediate users, MyDVD Studio Deluxe was selected because it offers a strong set of features and is very easy to use. We would like to congratulate Sonic on a very well-designed product."<br /><br />In addition to being recognized as Product of the Year by Videomaker, MyDVD has also garnered an impressive number of other awards in 2003 and 2004, including Editors' Choice awards from PC Magazine, TECH Edge, PC Upgrade, EMedia, and Laptop magazine, as well as a Product of the Year award from Presentations magazine."<br /><br />Sonic MyDVD is indeed a good entry-level product for making DVDs, although I haven't tried the software since last year. I used it to create a DVD of a friend's wedding, and it turned out really nice (although there were some frustrating glitches with the software). Anyone else use MyDVD on a regular basis?

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
wonder how this compares to Apple's ultra simple iDVD :?:

Ed Hansberry
03-02-2004, 11:55 PM
It still can't edit DVR-MS files worth a hoot. :-(

Jason Dunn
03-03-2004, 12:08 AM

I think you need this product:

http://www.sonic.com/products/primetime/primetime/default.asp

Ed Hansberry
03-03-2004, 12:27 AM

I think you need this product:

http://www.sonic.com/products/primetime/primetime/default.asp
Nope. Doesn't edit. You get to burn the whole tv show, commercials and all, to DVD. Blech.

Jason Dunn
03-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Nope. Doesn't edit. You get to burn the whole tv show, commercials and all, to DVD. Blech.

Hmm...I'm such a media centre newbie - I still don't have one. You can't open up the WMV in a video editor and edit it? They've secured it somehow? That sucks... :x

Ed Hansberry
03-03-2004, 12:45 AM

Hmm...I'm such a media centre newbie - I still don't have one. You can't open up the WMV in a video editor and edit it? They've secured it somehow? That sucks... :x
No, they haven't secured it. It is turning out to be a real pain to edit DVR-MS files and successfully burn them though. No one is really embracing the file format so there are all of these half hearted attempts. Sigh.... As soon as Nero 6 Ultra is available for download again, I am going to give it a try. It supports DVR-MS.

ANd no, WMM doesn't support DVR-MS at all. :evil:

entropy1980
03-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I just got back from Videomaker Magazine's headquarters, theywere talking this up but oddly enough were more excited about Encore from Adobe I was talking with one fo their editors who felt Encore had a lot of bugs but finally gave windows something close the the power of Apple's DVD Studio Pro, personally I think DVD Studio Pro is just amazing!

JTWise
03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Sonic MyDVD is indeed a good entry-level product for making DVDs

Agreed. I have a dumbed down version of MyDVD that came with my Dell. Very intuitive and easy for us noobs. I have already gotten several comments on how professional my first DVD of my son looked. That said, I can already see some areas I would like to tweak with. There might be more options in the retail version.

I really liked the product, but as I said I am a newbie and just used the software that came installed with my burner. What other products are out there that fill this niche?