View Full Version : Forbes: "iTunes vs. Napster"

Kent Pribbernow
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2004/03/01/cx_ah_0301mondaymatchup.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2004/03/01/cx_ah_0301mondaymatchup.html</a><br /><br /></div>Forbes Online has posted a rather brief but mildly interesting matchup comparison between Apple's popular iTunes Music Store and Roxio's Napster. The report does however give some insight into the popularity of online music, and the number of users actually using "legal" music downloads.<br /><br />I haven't given Napster a great deal of consideration, but from what I've seen of it, both the software and service could use some improvement. I'd choose iTunes over any other existing online service any day. That could change though when Microsoft enters the ring later this year, or early 2005.

Russell
03-02-2004, 07:19 PM
I'd choose iTunes over any other existing online service any day. That could change though when Microsoft enters the ring later this year, or early 2005.

I would stick with iTunes over Napster. I am willing to bet that Napster is going to become Roxio's red-headed step child once Microsoft comes to bat. The Music industry isn't stupid. Microsoft and Apple have the ammo to actually help put huge profits back in the industry's pockets. If Apple is unprofitable at 30 Million songs, what does that say for Napster? If Napster has only sold 5 million songs at 99 cents a piece, that isn't even 5 million in revenue. Chances are, they keep 10 cents for each song they sell, which puts them at maybe $500,000 that they have easily spent on promotion. Stick a fork in them...they are done. Of course, pride will get in the way, and Roxio will keep clinging to Napster while Sony, Apple, and Microsoft slowly pound them down into an oblivion.

Tim Williamson
03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Hmm...that was sort of a weak comparison article...you guys know of any thorough reviews of these music services?

Timothy Huber
03-02-2004, 07:55 PM
I've dabbled with six of the music services, but keep coming back to Musicmatch (of all companies!) Wait... don't call me stupid, I have good reasons.

I like iTunes from a software standpoint. It's the audio format that's the problem. Use an iPod or a PC but nothing else. Granted, the point of iTunes is to sell iPods, so that makes perfect sense. However, since the iPod only supports MP3 or AAC you're pretty much restricted to using iTunes or ripping your own.

Real's music store has some of the same issues, including poor device support.

BuyMusic.com is a nightmare of different licensing terms and poor tagging. Napster is okay but its a pain to navigate.

Granted, MusicMatch is not stellar software from a music store point of view. It's not easy to get around and next to impossible just to browse. But the tracks it sell are min 160kbps WMA. The last two albums I bought were even better VBR WMA files with an average of about 160kbps. And as they are WMA files I can use them on my Zen, on my Pocket PC, on my PC, and on my wife's Muvo.

Now, if the iPod supported WMA, I'd buy one (or two) in a heartbeat and I'd gladly spend some of my music money at iTunes. But I'm not interested in putting all my eggs in Apple's basket, so to speak. Neither will I be interested in Sony's upcoming service that's designed to sell their minidisc players.

So for now, it'll be Rhapsody for PC-based streaming (and occasional CD burns) and MusicMatch for downloads.

Timothy

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Now, if the iPod supported WMA, I'd buy one (or two) in a heartbeat and I'd gladly spend some of my music money at iTunes.
Good point. And about hte iPod supporting WMA, I think a lot more people will purchase iPods. However, I don't see this happening since Apple stores all that meta-information in those .aac files, and it is all tied in with iTunes. I don't seem them changing their format. :(

Suhit

gibb193a
03-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Although I love the Ipod design, I prefer to use Napster instead of iTunes. I currently have a flash-based iRiver and am chomping at the bit to buy one of their harddrive-based players.

On a side note, it seems to me that iPods became more popular when they released a Windows version. I'm curious to find out the ratio of Mac vs Windows versions sold. Anybody heard?

Kent Pribbernow
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm curious to find out the ratio of Mac vs Windows versions sold. Anybody heard?

Apple claims it's 50-50, but if you believe that, I got a nice piece of desert real estate to sell you, just south of Baghdad. :lol:

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I would also be curious to know what iPod users think is the biggest "threat" to the iPod's dominance, i.e. which device would they consider a close competitor. I use the iRiver iHP 140 and it is a sweet device, one that has a great look, a very nice UI and more features than the iPod, which led me to think that the iPod had met its match.

Suhit

Kent Pribbernow
03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Right now I would say Dell's DJ is the iPod's closest threat (still by a longshot), simply because Dell has the power and scale and to undercut Apple in price. However, the biggest problem for all iPod competitors (including Dell) is that there is no good backend service to back it up. MusicMatch is probably best of the bunch, but none of them are nearly as well designed or easy to use as ITMS. I will be very interested to see what Microsoft does. While they're at it, I hope they revamp Windows Media Player. It needs serious help. :?

Kent Pribbernow
03-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Another problem is that Apple's media device has become an icon. It's name is recognized the world over. No other device on the market right now shares that same quality. This is why the iPod leaves all of the media players in the dust.

Timothy Huber
03-02-2004, 09:35 PM
and let's face it: Apple's industrial design is second to none. The iPod is small, sleek and very cool-looking. Nobody comes close.

Timothy

gibb193a
03-02-2004, 09:55 PM
No other device on the market right now shares that same quality. This is why the iPod leaves all of the media players in the dust.

I'm not so sure it's the quality as much as the design. In my research for an MP3 player, the looks get raves across the board while I've read about problems with their players breaking down, battery life issues, etc. I think the best thing Apple did to ensure the popularity of the iPod was make a Windows version. It's become synonymous with hard-drive based players like Palm is (was? let's not get into THAT!) with PDAs.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the iRiver ihp-120 especially because of the FM tuner being built in. I almost bought one because of a recent rebate. Suhit, can you pm me about your experience with your iRiver?

Russell
03-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Another problem is that Apple's media device has become an icon. It's name is recognized the world over. No other device on the market right now shares that same quality. This is why the iPod leaves all of the media players in the dust.

I agree absolutely 100 percent with you on that one Kent. iPod advertises a lot only to remind you of what you read about or see on television, and the iPod is everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Right now, the words mp3 player are rarely mentioned without saying iPod. When a good player comes along the headline reads "A possible iPod competitor," and as you can see there is no mention of the "possible competitor" in the headline. Nobody stands a chance right now of even touching the market share Apple has and is going to continue to get. Why? Because the more additional choices come, the more people are going to just go with iPod because they know it is popular, and it makes their buying decision easier.

Gary Sheynkman
03-03-2004, 12:15 AM
you have to agree that the new iPod ads are awesome :!:

The whole thing with the iPod is this: its missing some desired features, but the features it DOES have it executes VERY well. The scroll wheel is amazing. The audio quality is not that bad. It is very hard to compete with something that is becoming a cultural phenomenon!

EscapePod
03-03-2004, 12:36 AM
I've dabbled with six of the music services, but keep coming back to Musicmatch (of all companies!) Wait... don't call me stupid, I have good reasons.

Granted, MusicMatch is not stellar software from a music store point of view. It's not easy to get around and next to impossible just to browse.

Timothy

Timothy, I too keep coming back to Musicmatch, but my opinion of their online interface seems 180 degrees opposite of yours. I tried Apple's online service and found it way too confusing and complicated to find a particular song that I want. I would have never thought "Apple" would give me that feeling. Musicmatch seemed much more straightforward. I guess its just a matter of preferences, and we should be glad there are a multitude of choices (even Walmart :lol: )

Timothy Huber
03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
[quote="EscapePodTimothy, I too keep coming back to Musicmatch, but my opinion of their online interface seems 180 degrees opposite of yours. I tried Apple's online service and found it way too confusing and complicated to find a particular song that I want. I would have never thought "Apple" would give me that feeling. Musicmatch seemed much more straightforward. I guess its just a matter of preferences, and we should be glad there are a multitude of choices (even Walmart :lol: )[/quote]

As you say... options are a good thing! And I can live with the MusicMatch interface because their product is worth it. Glad it works for you.

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm not so sure it's the quality as much as the design. In my research for an MP3 player, the looks get raves across the board while I've read about problems with their players breaking down, battery life issues, etc.
You're likely to hear that of any electronic gadget with the popularity of the iPod. From my practical experience, iPods are pretty solidly built, and the small formfactor helps its popularity.

--janak

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 06:53 PM
One of my main problems with the iPod is that the design seems to slippery. It reminds me of the T-Mobile XDA which I was always afraid would go flying out of my hand. Though, most of the people that I know that actually have an iPod don't have this complaint at all. Hmm, maybe it is just me.

Suhit

Kent Pribbernow
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Hmm, maybe it is just me.

No, it's not just you. That is something I also find annoying about my iPod. Well..that and the fact that it shows fingerprints like crazy! 8O

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
No, it's not just you. That is something I also find annoying about my iPod. Well..that and the fact that it shows fingerprints like crazy! 8O
So how do you get around the problem? Just deal with it by being careful or have you bought a slip case?

Suhit

Kent Pribbernow
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
So how do you get around the problem? Just deal with it by being careful or have you bought a slip case?

I've developed a habit of rubbing the iPod against my shirt to remove fingerprints. I also use a paper towel dampened with Windex to remove oily smudges. But the all aluminum iPod Mini looks very tempting right now, just because it looks and feels so much more durable and professional.

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
One of my main problems with the iPod is that the design seems to slippery. It reminds me of the T-Mobile XDA which I was always afraid would go flying out of my hand. Though, most of the people that I know that actually have an iPod don't have this complaint at all. Hmm, maybe it is just me.
It looks slippery, but it isn't really. Scratches and fingerprints are a much bigger problem. A lot of people, including my sister, solved all of these problems by getting an iSkin (http://www.iskinprotect.com/exo2.html). It also looks like Apple has solved the scratch/fingerprint problem on their Minis by using brushed aluminum.

--janakk